PDA

View Full Version : LTCC move imminent ?

Applycarbheat
1st Dec 2002, 09:52
There has been a lot of activity down here at "JP" with systems type bods and others all measuring floor space and looking at plans. Rumour has it that TC is to be propelled southwards at the earliest opportunity.
Anyone back home care to comment?

A I
1st Dec 2002, 10:44
No room in the car park with OKS coming down soon

AI :D

Spitoon
1st Dec 2002, 10:44
I guess with NATS' track record that will mean a move sometime after 2009 then.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Dec 2002, 11:34
Looks like I escaped just in time...!

5milesbaby
1st Dec 2002, 13:56
I heard 4 years time and that they are bringing the existing system down too, seems like someone learnt something last time ;)

BDiONU
1st Dec 2002, 15:51
The current measuring up exercise is for the move of OKS, Spectrum House, Highfield et al next year as an interim measure prior to moving into the new tech centre, which is due for completion in spring 2004.
The GM at Swanwick is dead against it, especially at having existing staff and desks squeezed to allow the extra 500 staff due. Early next year the car park (well a bit of it) will be equipped for portacabins which some of the overflow will be accomodated in. Still going to be a VERY tight squeeze with mega pressure on existing resources (canteen/meeting rooms/parking etc. etc.).
Next year the military are hoping to move the MASOR West task from LTCC to LACC. TC itself and the remainder of the mil are due to move 2006/7 so West Drayton can be closed.
The move of TC is dependant on the Tech Centre being built, then equipped for the ESS. Then the ESS must move to the Tech Centre, leaving the 'other' Ops Room free to be re-cabled and equiped with whatever kit TC will be getting.

Minesapint
1st Dec 2002, 16:15
Latest I heard is that they are evaluating the 'CASPIAN' system for ScACC then MACC and the LTCC site is "to be evacuated as soon as possible" as its costing a fortune. The current TC system is being retained but a 'new' one at Swanwick.

BDiONU
1st Dec 2002, 17:33
Caspian is allegedly the Dogs Kn*b COTS product, but nothing firm about it yet. Have serious doubts about COTS products! Never actually works straight 'off the shelf'.
TC's firmware/software is not decided on. Won't be the current TC kit, its too big. Might be NERC 2. All in the air at the moment.

Euroc5175
1st Dec 2002, 19:33
The measuring up going on in the TCR is part of Project 2415. P2415 is the project that will be providing an additional 5 controller workstations in TC. These extra workstations are apparently being put in place to accomodate Thames Radar, the 2 new East sectors (Clacton Low) and possibly a North East Low sector.

The measuring is for the new Traffic Managers desk, which by all accounts is going to be a biggie.

As for the move south, not until early 2007, although December 2006 is apparently being touted. The move will allegedly be onto a legacy system for a few years until whatever CASPIAN delivers is available.

Fallows
1st Dec 2002, 23:29
Call me picky, but would it not be nice to find out about these proposed changes from NATS itself, rather than by rumour or on Pprune!. In the new NATS I thought that communication was the new buzzword.

BDiONU
2nd Dec 2002, 06:45
Euroc5175:
With all the new TC sectors and the (possible) loss of S33 and S07 at LACC that'll give LACC 31 sectors and TC 32!
Maybe they should give TC the biggest room! ;)

Minesapint
2nd Dec 2002, 10:39
I think we will find that if CASPIAN works at ScACC/MACC then NERC 2 will be the same kit, replacing NAS. :)

BDiONU
2nd Dec 2002, 16:08
How will caspian replace the UK's FDP system?

foo fighting
6th Dec 2002, 22:45
Rumour had it that the TC to Swanwick date was going to be discussed/finalised/announced at a meeting today.

Anybody got any news ?

Roger Dodge
8th Dec 2002, 19:04
The 'rumour' I have heard is that the move will be in Feb 2007. Watch this space.......................................;)

Ayr_Man
9th Dec 2002, 21:52
Fallow

re.

"Call me picky, but would it not be nice to find out about these proposed changes from NATS itself, rather than by rumour or on Pprune!. In the new NATS I thought that communication was the new buzzword."

I am afraid not friend, "NEW" NATS now applies the mushroom principal--keep us in the dark and feed us sh-t.

All that comms stuff is just crap!

Findo
9th Dec 2002, 23:13
BDiONU. Nobody ssems to have taken up your question about FDP replacement. My uderstanding is that CASPIAN will be an ATC operating and FDP combination.

Eventually each Ops room will have a CASPIAN system which will have an independant FDP. NERC 2 will see the demise of NAS.

BDiONU
10th Dec 2002, 06:48
'Fraid not. I found out more about CASPIAN (Commit All SDI Persons Into A Nuthouse) and posted in a different thread in this forum.
In a nutshell CASPIAN is only a platform. There is no intention to replace NAS, it will be re-engineered.

Thanks for replying anyway.

Minesapint
10th Dec 2002, 08:15
That would confirm the "NAS for another 15 years" rumour that I have heard. Well, more than rumours actually.

It would seem that there is nothing available that can replace NAS yet. Lets see what the Americans do... But this time if they fail - don't buy it and call it NERC!!!!!

;)

Scott Voigt
11th Dec 2002, 22:10
If we get funded and the contract signed, I expect that we should have all functions of ERAM done by 2010. The agency says 2008 but I am giving a fudge factor <G>...

One of the main things about this, is that we are not just porting over code. We are going to break apart the old NAS code and have all of the different parts run separate on a distributive system. That way if one part fails you will only lose that functionality and not the whole system. It also makes it a lot easier to try to replace something as complex as NAS. In the future it also makes it a LOT easier to make continual updates and modernization.

regards

Findo
18th Dec 2002, 22:07
BDiONU

Checked again. FDP replacement is part of the same project. When CASPIAN system goes live it is anticipated that the New Prestwick Centre (NPC) will have a new FDP. That FDP will be rolled into Swanwick at a later date with the version of CASPIAN suitable for a Swanwick or TC replacement.

BDiONU
19th Dec 2002, 06:50
Interesting that we both are getting different stories! I've been speaking to members of the NOS team and our tame nutty professor! :) I wonder whether one of us is confusing NAS replacement with a replacement for the FDP system that comes with whatever Ops room system you use which interfaces with NAS and 'delivers' the data from NAS to the individual workstations?
The hot word still appears to be that NAS will be re-engineered over the next three years (and re-written in ADA?). The replacement still nowhere on the horizon, except if our friends across the Atlantic get ERAM working and we buy it off them, once the bugs are squished! ;)

Minesapint
19th Dec 2002, 09:03
Rewriting NAS in ADA is a massive job creation scheme for those rewriting NAS in ADA - little else.

Prediction time;

They will take years and fail. Then we will buy ERAM (more info on ERAM required guys) from the US (IF) CASPIAN is not the full FDP replacement that it is supposed to be.

Scott Voigt
20th Dec 2002, 01:44
ERAM contract was signed this month and we are pressing ahead with the program. Right now we are stymied a bit due to the govt. running on what we call a continuing resolution. That means that our budget for 2003 hasn't been passed and to keep the govt. running a CR is passed and that allows us to spend at nearly the levels that we had the previous year... That in itself then requires a cut back in spending until a true budget can be passed. It slows things down a bit...

More on ERAM as details become available for public distribution...

regards

Scott