PDA

View Full Version : Us Atc

Airspeed
1st Dec 2002, 00:43
Does anyone know the US ATC Departure Control Radar separation requirements when the area is IMC? What are the distance requirements? Thanks

Warped Factor
1st Dec 2002, 21:29
Don't have the answer directly, but you might find it in the US ATC Manual which is on-line here (http://www2.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/index.htm).

WF.

Scott Voigt
2nd Dec 2002, 02:14
Airspeed;

It all depends on what sort of a departure you are doing and what the tower and approach control (If there is a tower) are doing. There are more than just one form of separation. Give us an idea of what you are looking for.

regards

FWA NATCA
2nd Dec 2002, 15:35
Airspeed,

For a Radar equiped Tower/Approach off the primary airport you have to provide 15 degrees or more lateral seperation between, or three miles (or more for wake turbelence) between departures. Before I can roll the second departure there is also runway seperation that I must apply depending on the aircraft size (weight class).

For example if I'm departing three or more B727's (or other large aircraft) off of runway 23 and it is IMC. Depending on where they are going:

1. Turn right to 320
2. Turn left to 140
3. Turn right to 300 (added 5 extra degrees for my kids)
4. Turn left to 120
5. Turn right to 280

etc. etc. etc.

The key is that I'm providing departure with initial IFR seperation between departures, trurning departures as close to on course within my departure pie that I can and watching that subsequent departures are clear before I turn toward them. Other faciliities have extra rules for noise abatement that they must adhere too.

For departures off of a satelite airport I don't release the second aircraft until the previous departure is airborne and at least 3 miles or more away from the airport, or out of 3000 feet, regardless if it is IMC or VMC.

For a VFR tower the rules change to being required to have 45 degrees or more lateral seperation between subsequent departures released one minute apart. There are some more VFR tower rules but the 45 degree one is the rule used most often.

Mike
FWA NATCA

Airspeed
5th Dec 2002, 23:56
For instance: An aircraft has just taken off from an airport. The aircraft is on a routine nightly flight on an IFR flight plan. The aircraft is still on departure control, 8.1 DME from the VOR, which is on the field, on an assigned heading and altitude and has just intercepted a Victor airway. Suddenly something with a lot of force hits the aircraft and it crashes at that location. I know this is vague but this is a very quick summary of facts.

Scott Voigt
6th Dec 2002, 02:10
Airspeed;

There isn't enough info to come to any conclusion from that. Shoot something hitting the aircraft with a lot of force can be a shoulder launched SA-9 for that matter. Where did the other aircraft come from? Was it an aircraft, was it wake? Sorry to say, there need to be a lot more facts...

regards