PDA

View Full Version : When is an SOP not an SOP

eastern wiseguy
30th Nov 2002, 16:05
A question for the crews on a recently amalgamated airline.We recently recieved a notice telling us that the guys/gals in this airline would be operating the combined fleet to the same speeds below FL 100 and that we (ATC) should be aware of it.Fair enough .This morning I had a situation whereby I had to make a choice of number one,I made my decision on the basis that aircraft (a) "other low cost carrier" would be happy to maintain high speed and that aircraft (b) would slow up below FL 100.(Notice please that I am NOT telling the second aircraft to do anything except fly my headings and I presume he will abide by his SOP as notified to me) Decision made !! Aircraft (b) then appears not to have access to his SOP as he proceeded to maintain high speed to almost ten miles eroding my carefully planned seperation (in trail).I solved it, but, was surprised by the apparent lack of consistency amongst crews. On discussing it with the rest of the team both in the tower and in the radar room we all remarked on he differences in the applying of "speed" by this carrier. Do you have discretion in these matters?

This is not a whinge just a genuine attempt to help improve the service (in lieu of Fam flights!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

dolly737
1st Dec 2002, 10:25
wiseguy,

I wouldn't rely on such a "notice" unless being supplied with the full, unedited SOP-text. Although the cause of this event may have been "inconsistency", some SOPs have smallprints like "...under certain conditions ... may deviate..." etc. Besides that, we don't expect ATC to have any knowledge about company-specific SOPs.

eastern wiseguy
1st Dec 2002, 11:21
Dolly ..thanks for the reply .I would normally tend to agree with you but in this case the email to our General Manager came from the Operations people and was to be brought to the attention of all Atc's .In fact on another thread one of the crews complain that we still give "no speed control" when "they"(ATC) know we are bound by this SOP . I will always allow an aircraft(where possible) to fly its' own speed but if I am aware of a restriction placed upon it ,as in this case,I will factor that into my planning.Just trying to make sure I get the most expeditious order going and that no one is inconvenienced by a "misinterpretation"of the rules!.

dolly737
1st Dec 2002, 12:22
Seems more like a communications problem within that particular company ;)