View Full Version : easyJet Type Rating Scheme

Splat
29th Nov 2002, 13:30
Peeps,

First time I applied to them, I got a mail acknowledging my application. 12 months later I put in another one, and heard nothing. Just done so again with the same result.

Anybody else with a similar experience?

S:p

Modelmaker
29th Nov 2002, 14:27
dunno... but this looks a regular problem stated here, you just send, contact but... nothing. Really frustrating, but i think it all has to do with the post 9/11 feeling: no jobs - too many applicants. Sad major companies don't even reply anymore - even it was a negative response

Splat
29th Nov 2002, 14:47
Yes, agreed where some human intervention is required, but surely an automated 'we have received your application' is not beyond the programming abilities of Easy? They do claim to be technicaly literate after all.

S

Engee73
29th Nov 2002, 15:40
Hi Guys

The automation does say when you press submit that it has received your application.
Unfortunately that is it and is a limitation of the system. If you saw the application accepted pop up window after you submitted then it has been accepted. I think the recruitment team would like to have a better system but given the fact that the IT people hav a lot to do with the current growth/integration etc. its not a high priority.

I have had worse from plenty of other airlines but agree that is not much consulation.

Keep updating at regular intervals (say 6 months) and I'm sure you will be considered when your experience meets with the criteria of the time.

Good luck :)

NG

DeltaT
29th Nov 2002, 21:17
Just got the latest Easy newsletter.

Don't worry people, even if you have applied to them before, looks like you gotta re-apply for the type rating sponsorship.

Only thing is, just how many of us with 500-1500 hrs have Multi Crew experience with a transport company?
Not many I bet.
Cuts out the Instructors I guess.
Why the %$&* did I bother to do a MCC course.

Filters they all use, just gotta luv'em

BANGHER
29th Nov 2002, 21:27
I've just read my emails and one has cropped up from the easyJet team...

This appears to be promoting a self type scheme including preselection at a cost of £23K, like the cadet scheme this is paid back over 5yrs to the candidate.

There was a thread on Ryanair recruitment some time ago suggesting this will become the norm in the near future, well here it is folks! In fact, the guys at easy have even allowed for SFO entry at a salary of £31,716 plus the £5K pay back on the bond.

If you meet the criteria i.e 500-1500hrs UK or JAR ATPL with MPA experience, considering this is the NG, and you get the money back, it's worth considering.

It would appear, just like our mates at FR, these guys are attacking the need for pilots by appealing to guys they could fast track within 5yrs.

HMMM? Prefer Dublin.

Maxclimb
29th Nov 2002, 21:58
It must be April fool chaps, when you read this I am sure you will agree it is a dark day, I have agreat job as an F/O but would have gone to easy until I read this, it's time we put a stop to this kind of recruitment I don't know how yet but we need as pilots to put a stop to it.

Hi all

I am sure that you have already heard that we have just launched
a new type rated sponsorship scheme for pilots to join our
company, if you haven't check out this new exciting opportunity
at

http://www.easyjet.com/en/jobs/pilotrecruitment_typeratingsponsorshipscheme.html

The good news is that we have just decided on the date for our
1st 737 Type conversion course for this new scheme, which will
take place on 31st March 2003 (with the successful candidates
completing a jet orientation course in March).

Therefore we will assessing candidates for this scheme during 2
assessments on Friday 13th and 20th December 2002 with a
simulator on the following Saturday (21st and 28th December).

Are you interested in the type rated sponsorship scheme?

Do you have between 500 and 1500 hours with a UK or JAR ATPL?

Do you have multi crew experience with an European transport
company?

Are you available for the assessment and simulator dates stated
above?

Can you start a jet orientation course in March 2003?

If you can answer yes to all the above questions then we want to
hear from you. Please email your details to
[email protected] before Friday 6 December 2002.

Please do not contact us if you don't fill the above
requirements as it will slow down the whole process and your
email you will be deleted without us sending a reply (as a low
cost airline we only have minimum resources in order to keep our
costs low!).

If you meet our requirements and you have not been contacted by
the 12 December assume that your application has been
unsuccessful on this occasion.

Thanks for your interest in easyJet and we look forward to
hearing from you soon.

Regards

Laure Van Rensburg
Flight Operations Recruitment Co-ordinator

Fri Nov 29 19:33:48 2002
[ENDS]

Roadtrip
29th Nov 2002, 22:22
Hard to believe anyone with any self-respect would work under those terms as a de facto indentured servant. Those 5 year salary rates are comical.

Holer Moler
29th Nov 2002, 23:03
Sad but Fact - Stelios has gone, Fact. Now watch the rot set in, me thinks that this is just the start of more radical things to come.

Dr White - Private health care rules!

Agaricus bisporus
29th Nov 2002, 23:09
I've said it before and I'll say it again. No one but an irresponsible fool pays for their own type rating.
Fool, because you can't have any idea who will offer you a job, and the likelihood of it being on the type you bought is small. What a **** you'll look with a £15K 737 rating (thats about the going rate) and bet offered a job on an Airbus...
Irresponsible because you are screwing up the market for the rest of the jobseekers out there who aren't rich/daft/selfish enough to bribe an employer to take them.

Type ratings are one of an airline's natural business expenses and by paying this yourself you merely open yet another crack in our shaky foundations that the airlines are consistently chipping away at. Next we'll be PAYING THEM for the priviledge of flying their damn aeroplanes, just because of the selfishness of a few who started the rot. Don't do it!!!

I have seen people with bought type ratings put thru full courses anyway, and then bonded on a type they already had. Bwa ha ha ha!!! Serve them right.

As for a £23K type rating and a bond afterwards, firstly I doubt its true. Even EJ know you can't bond for more than the value of the training, and £15K is accepted as about the norm for a 737. Secondly, no fool takes a 5 yr bond on anything, no such period has ever existed before as far as I know, this is a pisstake. 2 Yrs is the max anyone is ever bonded for.

If you've paid yourself you CANNOT be bonded. That's pretty clear from a legal point of view. In any case it is doubtful if bonds are legal in the UK anyway.

Leave this scam well alone, for God's sake, as welll as for the sake of your fellow pilots.

Agaricus bisporus
29th Nov 2002, 23:16
For God's sake take off your wannabe pink glasses and look at the appalling record of this appalling company personnell wise.

Thank Christ they did not reply to you, now go look for a decent job with a decent company. I hear Kinshasa Airways is recruiting, seriously, this must be vastly preferable to the orange swamp.

Leave well alone.

blue skies
29th Nov 2002, 23:24
Nice that they pay the bond back. 23G over 5 years, close to 5G a year.
Shame they drop the standard salary 5G a year first!
hmmmm +5 -5 = ?

Waggon rut
30th Nov 2002, 07:49
:mad: Can someone please tell me what planet Easyjet are on. Talk about pushing the envelope! Their arrogance is breathtaking at the moment, they are leaving Ryanair for dust. Their "Type Rating Sponsorship Scheme" keeps changing first it was FATPL 500-1500 hours plus "we want to help you get your foot in the door" now they have decided that they want Air transport experience as well!. So £23,000 Bond with a reduced salary for 5 years to pay for it plus locked into them for five years, this is unprecedented in contract terms and most contracts in business would be thrown out of court with more than three years. Anybody having been invited to an interview for this should think about five years first not getting your arse in the right seat of a 737 sorry A319. This will breed resentment with in easyjet at some point, but it looks like they are hell bent on turning themselves into villains of the LCC’s under the banner "TO KEEP OUR COSTS LOW" I wonder what Barbara thinks to all this. I now consider Ryanair to be firm but fare. LONG LIVE RYANAIR.

foghorn
30th Nov 2002, 07:56
This seemed like a fabulous scheme for self-improvers, until they moved the bar higher out of reach of many of us with the magic requirement:

Do you have multi crew experience with an European transport
company?

Now this hasn't been posted to their website yet, but it is there black and white in their e-mail.

Not only does this rule out most instructing self-improvers, but it also rules out many people who have gone overseas to gain experience, and those who have come from outside Europe with multi-crew experience under their belt. So Easyjet's 'generous' scheme becomes significantly less so. Sigh. It seemed too good to be true.

Just how many people are there that fit into this category at the moment? Not too many I would venture - I'd expect that most people currently employed in European airlines have >1,500 hours, plus there can't be too many people with < 1,500 hours + European MPA experience who are currently unemployed?

Hopefully the requirements will be lowered when they don't get the response that they were expecting.

And before anyone starts on the 'do your apprenticeship' tack, I'm well aware of this, but with the airlines that operate turboprops gradually moving to RJ fleets, slimming down due to low-cost Jet operator competition, or being effectively closed to UK folks (KLM springs to mind), the options for serving one's 'apprenticeship' in a Turboprop airline are narrowing all the time.

Just how does a self-improver get on the first rung of the career ladder in the UK?

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Nov 2002, 09:09
I agree Foghorn.

This MPA requirement spoils the whole thing in my view. If it were a scheme to take people from flying school portakabins all the way to RHS NG Boeing I would and have said its a fair deal...

headlesshorseman
30th Nov 2002, 09:34
the additional £7000 or so on top of a normal type rating for a 73 appears to be the added value of CTC - the advanced handling course and accom/expenses.

as far as I can see the individual is taking all the risk and paying over the odds for the course and can be ditched by ctc at any point with them taking whatever chunk out of the bond that they fancy. if you fail the first week for example, it will cost you £3,000.

i really hope things change - do you think the firefighters would put up with it?

:(

isobar
30th Nov 2002, 10:56
It says whoever meets the requrements to apply should do so via email. Would that be the first time easyJet accepts a CV and a letter as compared to the dedicated online application form?
Perhaps just another clue that shows how unlikely it will be to find suitable candidates?

Iso

scroggs
30th Nov 2002, 11:59
The £8000 difference between EZ's scheme and the run-of-the mill type rating is easily accounted for by the line training of 20 to 30 sectors - which no third-party type rating will offer. In fact, realistically, this element of the training is probably worth a good deal more than that.

However, I agree that the requirement for multi-crew experience will disqualify the vast majority of hours-building wannabes. I can only assume that EZ are targetting an identified group of people - perhaps ex-SAS F27/F50 pilots? Something like that, I suspect.

As for paid-for type ratings versus bonds, I think some of you are comparing apples and pears here. While you might not like the emergence of EZ's scheme, the fact is that you are repaid the loan that gets you the training. In other words, they do pay for your rating - they just use an unusual way of doing it (which probably has some tax advantage). As the rating is actually paid for by them, they are entitled to bond you.

However, the reduced payscale for previously-experienced pilots is a new departure from the norm, and a worrying development. I have no problem with reduced payscales for ab-initio trainees; that's normal within all organisations, whether aviation or not. I would have had little problem with this scheme if it was aimed at wannabes with a few hours under their belts, but no commercial experience. But to penalise commercially-experienced pilots, and by a considerable amount, is not right.

As I understand it, the direct entry scheme continues for those with relevant jet experience, who will be bonded but won't lose out on pay.

quixote
30th Nov 2002, 12:26
I hear that new hires without B737 endorsement pay Virgin Blue in Australia Aus$20K (UK Pounds 7,200) for their sim endorsement.

Don

aztruck
30th Nov 2002, 12:47
Makes the Astraeus Cadet scheme quite attractive!! If your'e going to blow 23k you should talk to us about a 73 type rating and save yourself 7 grand!!
01293 819817 and ask for Sue Masson.
An unashamed plug!! Oh yes ...and that includes base training and if you want line training there's probably a deal to be done.
I think there are tax advantages to be had, so you might as well have them!!

Engee73
30th Nov 2002, 17:17
The transport requirement is probably a little harsh but if that is the sort of candidate out there then that is probably what easy would select at interview anyway.

So another way to look at this is that at least they are being upfront to avoid your possible disappointment. If no suitalble applicants received obviously these requirements will change.

I am just trying to bring a little sense to these posts rather than defending the recruitment policy. As this scheme involves a job at the end I think it is ridiculous to comapre it with the purchase of a type rating and no job such as that generously :confused: offered by Astreus.

There is no goal to set up a flying school here. In fact they will not sell you a type rating. There is a genuine need for flight crews and as the supply is around it is sensible to take the best qualified candidates. What would you do if it were your airline?

Make the comparison with other airlines and I think you might find it is not that bad.

Once again good luck to those who apply and make way in other operators for those who dont.

Honest Fr@nk
30th Nov 2002, 17:18
Or it may attract ex-BWA ATP pilots still looking to get back in the air again such as myself. But could I be turned down for being OVER qualified with 2000 hours?????? That will really be taking the p*ss. Turned down for not having enough experience ( ie. a jet rating) then 6 months down the line, and not having flown once, being over qualified.

It seems to be a good scheme. I initially thought it was like the Ryanair scheme-pay for it yourself up front. Well I haven't got that sort of cash lying around nor have I rich parents to look after little Johnny.

After losing my job almost a year ago I am desperate to get back into the industry again. Whoever has been made redundant from a job they adore will know what I mean. Those who meander through life with the lucky spoon in their mouths will obviously not know. Can you imagine a fully qualified Airline Pilot with experience working in a cold and damp warehouse driving a forklift. Well thats what I do to pay the bills at the moment. Rather bleak isn't it. Yes I know there would be a reduced salary for 5 years but I would accept that.

Question---Doesn't every sponsored ab-initio cadet start on a reduced salary when they join their respective airline because of the training costs(whether part sponsored or fully sponsored).Well how different is the easyJet type rating sponsorship scheme except obviously the costs?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monksit.gif

Artificial Horizon
30th Nov 2002, 18:08
I can not believe this crap, there is no form of sponsorship here. First of all, we the pilots, pay the training costs upfront then easyjet pays it back to us at the rate of £25,000 over 5 years. Looks o.k. on paper, BUT when you consider that as the sponsored pilot you lose £25,000 in wages over the 5 years this doesn't look so great suddenly. For the privledge of this great sponsorship you are also bonded for the 5 year period.

Now before I get shot down, I can accept that new pilots should in certain circumstances accept a reduced wage and a bonded period, but only when the company has paid for the training. When the pilot pays for the training there should be no reduction in wages.

Unfortuantly this kind of scheme has all come about because certain new pilots paid for their type ratings to get a foot up on other candidates. This means that the airlines thought 'well, if one pays why not ask the rest to' and here we are. I can understand how people in Honest Franks position are tempted to get back into aviation via this scheme and I couldn't honestly say that in his position I wouldn't do the same. It seems however that EZ are not interested in pilots who have experience like Frank who have over the 1500 hour mark, so what for pilots like Frank and I who don't qualify, does anyone think that EZ will employ us when they can 'sponsor' some one who will pay their own training expenses. I don't think so!!!:eek:

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Nov 2002, 18:46
1) This is a type rating that comes with a job attached - v. important.

2) You require no money in the bank. The company will arrange a loan on favourable terms for you. Just sign here Sir.

3) You are given OVER AND ABOVE salary £5,000 a year extra to pay off the loan over 5 years. Thats £25,000 you get to pay off the loan.

4) You are bonded for 5 years whilst this pays itself off - where exactly are you planning to go in those 5 years? Which airline? Surely you'll want 1000 Command hours before you leave for pastures new? Which will take 5 years anyway more or less.

5) You are paid less. Well lets look at this. As soon as you hit 1,500 hrs i.e. within a couple of months you will be on a basic salary of £31,700 + £6,000 sector/duty pay. Anyone moaning about £38,000 a year in their first year of their first jet airline (probably)?

6) Joining with - say - a 1,000hrs means in 3 years time you would have 3,500hrs TT and qualify for a Command assesment. Say you pass and you now have £55,000 basic plus about £10,000 sector/duty pay. Plus 5% length of service bonus, plus any profit share and/or share options. And a 7% pension. And a 737 NG Command. Ooh, and there would be a couple of hundred pilots behind you in the last in first out redundancy queue.

Not *such* a rip off I think.

Pity they just don't take guys and type them and bond them like they used to though and its a *real* pity they require MPA time.

Hopefully they will drop that bit soon - surely their aren't THAT many guys out there with this and all the other bits and bobs needed to pass the interview/test/sim...?

Good luck whatever your position,

muppet
30th Nov 2002, 19:15
WWW so far I have had great respect for your well informed, and thoughtful posts, but ........

'If it were a scheme to take people from flying school portakabins all the way to RHS NG Boeing I would and have said its a fair deal...'

this is a major step.

As part of the the scheme I would want them to spend a couple of years on turbo-props............. is this not why easy want MPA experience?

tonyblair
30th Nov 2002, 20:18
I’ve been looking at their website & this is how I read it.

They used to only take direct entrants with >1500 hours, with the exception of a few via the CTC ATP scheme

Now there are 4 categories of entrant:

>1500 hours, ATPL, type rated or non-type rated - Direct Entrant – gets the full SFO or Capt salary from the start

>500 <1500 hours, fATPL, non-type rated – Sponsored Type Rating – direct entry salary less £5,000 pa for 5 years then revert to direct entry salary

<500 hrs, fATPL, non-type rated – CTC ATP scheme – pay £6K towards training costs, 8 months deferred direct entry FO salary

0-few hours, no CPL – Sponsored Cadet Scheme – direct entry salary less £12,000 for 7 years

It seems to me that the original channels are still open, but now there is a route for everyone. The more experience you bring with you, the better your pay. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. Unfortunately, I’m at the bottom of the pile. But I accept that I have less to offer easy than a direct entrant! I also accept that it’s going to cost them a packet to train me.

The sponsored type rating scheme seems a good deal to me; you’re only paying for your own type rating if you break your own bond. And all this talk about it being an expensive type rating ‘because the going rate is £15K seems to miss the point: you look at what is included – it’s quite a lot more than a normal type rating I think. And do you normally get living expenses in a £15K rating? If you fail it, do you get most of your money back? I doubt it. You’re not bringing the same experience to the airline that a direct entrant is, so you are going to be paid less. You don’t need any money to pay for your rating & if you stick with easyJet they’ll pay off the bank’s money which was used to pay for it.

I’m very new to this industry & I accept I have a huge amount to learn. I have to say though that there are a lot of people about who seem to think that they are owed a living.

Seems different to me; the more you have to offer an employer, you more you can expect in return. Simple market forces.

Less than 1,500 hours = not a lot of experience and probably none on jets. More experience than I have, but then I don’t expect as much from an employer as someone who is a year or so into their career. Let’s face it, that’s all we are talking about.

carb
30th Nov 2002, 20:38
I've studied all this too, and the above analysis is correct, except, that it seems like people with >1500 hours, or >500 but logged through instructing and stuff, are less in favour, even though there are loads of them. Why? Well if you do the maths, it's obvious: at current pay scales they would cost more to employ than newbies brought in through this new idea of bonded fATPL entrants, and ab initio cadets.

Personally I don't care about the money, it's the fast disappearing principles of fairness, merit and paying-your-dues (starting at the bottom) that are getting me worked up.

Should employers not be obliged - by an independent professional body ('union') or by corrective market forces (lower pay for all) - to hire the best / most experienced people available, or is it a case of low-cost pilots for a low-cost airline?

Engee73
1st Dec 2002, 00:33
carb

are you saying that instuctors should get a leg up. With respect, what do they know about flying Jets?

tony

You are spot on.

NG

carb
1st Dec 2002, 01:02
Yep, instructors, and, all the rest of our esteemed colleagues who've been doing a sterling job in light aircraft since gaining a CPL/fATPL. I expect they know less about flying jets than people with jet or turboprop multi-crew experience but they know considerably more than people with <500 hours, have proven themselves, and also put something back into aviation. This group of deserving and well qualified wannabes are becoming the forgotten pilots. New hires by EasyJet would now seem to be either rocketing past on a fast-track up from nowhere -- the wannabes who have neverbeen -- or parachuting in from another airline, often infact from another country.

If it was because anyone who's gained, say, a thousand hours in non-airline flying will invariably be scarred for life by the experience and can only therafter make a crap airline pilot, then fair enough, but I don't believe that is necessarily the case. Is it?

AK747
1st Dec 2002, 01:19
Well said carb,
I'm a Ab-initio then instructer wanabee.
and I also feel left out in this easyjet type rating sponsership. you would think that having 1000TT 700multi instructing and having all sorts of extra extra ratings and licenses and all the rest would help... but NO now I need MPA experiance :eek:
I can see that fellow wannabes with zero experiance are going to be passing people like me that started at the bottem of the ladder.
I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST zero houred guys geting the job.... becouse I was once the new kid with the shiny new blue book.
I just think its a shame that easyjet and the rest of the airlines are leting people with some more experiance not get a chance.

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Dec 2002, 10:48
Muppet - a few years on turboprops - or indeed an entire career - is of course ideal experience.

It seems that the traditional route to the jet airline job is slowly becoming less common.

A lot of regional flying is no longer done on props. The CRJ and EMB145 and the rising use of 737's on domestic routes are to blame.

Dimbleby
1st Dec 2002, 11:20
:mad:

Anyone that applies for or even considers this lastest grounding of our profession into the dirt is a fool.

It is at times like this that I wish that we had a union, and no not that bunch of wimps in BALPA.

Would I have considered Easy previously, Yes - Would I consider Easy now, would I f#%k.!!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Dec 2002, 12:27
I'm sorry but I just don't think that level of vitriol is justified.

Its a bond by other means. Don't forget the £5,000 a year in your pay packet to pay off the bank. Don't forget the reduced remuneration is still better than in some other airlines.

Engee73
1st Dec 2002, 14:21
Dimbleby

I am sure easyJet will be devistated to hear of your rejection.

Just a reminder, there will still be direct entry positions in order to meet the expansion of the airline. If you dont want to take a short cut to the RHS of a medium jet by all means continue with what you are doing and don't apply for this scheme.

Instructors

I am not suggesting you are not great pilots but your expectations are beyond what the current employment market will provide. Start thinking about taking the next step. Air taxi, turboprop/multicrew. Just because a few people have been lucky in the past does not mean that the industry owes you a living or a fast track airline career. Take a look at the US, Canada, Australia etc. and see what it takes to get your butt into that seat. You will find you are no where near the levels of experience these guys have before landing their first job.

What an opportunity, a guarenteed job on a slightly reduced salary with the chance to fly both boeing and airbus at some stage all for the price of a postage stamp.

For those who do apply good luck and see you on the line soon.

carb
1st Dec 2002, 15:33
"Beyond the current employment market"... huh? How come there's a need to create new pilots through sponsorships and take them with lower hours via CTC, then? If I'm lucky I'll happily sign up for a fast-track entry myself, but that doesn't stop me thinking it's bizarre for airlines to recruit people with loads of experience and people with none, but nobody in between. Is there some logic, or is it just an oversight that needs sorting?

Honest Fr@nk
1st Dec 2002, 17:18
Call me a fool but I've applied. If I have too much experience for this scheme, too bad, easyJet have missed out again.
All those out there whinging, please don't apply. It will put my application higher up the pile- hopefully the only one on the pile. So sit there and whine whilst my name hopefully gets put forward. I'm not missing the boat this time.
Perhaps the industry may pick up next year for someone with my experience but I do not want to wait and find out.

Engee73
1st Dec 2002, 17:33
Carb

The current employment market I was refering to does not include cadets that will fly the line in 2005.

I am only trying to give a reality check here. You can apply to emirates if you like but they are not interested in pilots who do not fit their current demographic profile which is usually dictated by the prevailing market conditions and easyjet are the same.

Anyone can apply but easyjet is telling you upfront that the profile they are after include multicrew experience with 500-1500 hours. Why waste everybodies time? If they do not meet the target with those requirements they will no doubt change them.

Your time might be better spent applying to companies who are looking for pilots with your experience.

Take it easy ;)

carb
1st Dec 2002, 17:43
OK cool - so EasyJet will recruit a wider range of people in 2004/05, all going well?

I'm not currently one of these people myself, I'm only at PPL/100hrs stage, but if I'm not lucky enough to get a sponsorship, I'd like to think other routes are available for those keen enough. Would also like to think the outstanding instructors I've flown with aren't being left out, as they seem to be, and I'm not comfortable with that.

kwaiyai
1st Dec 2002, 22:02
Having got the necessary 500 to 1500 hrs multi crew time on top of my current experience to qualify for the EZY TRCourse. I hope I dont get into a situation requiring me to stump up another 23K to further my career. Maybe I misread the website though.

Engee73
1st Dec 2002, 22:12
There is no need to stump up anything.

Sucessful applicants will get a loan that they are responsible for but that easyjet pays for. Its just a bond that is guarenteed by a bank. If you do have £23000 I think you are able to guarentee yourself though.

Reread it, its not really that bad. In comparison ryanair require a type rating at the moment through an approved TRTO and that will be £15000 of your own money.

The idea is a job that pays for your type rating but gives you the incentive to stay around.

NG

lamu
2nd Dec 2002, 09:24
How can you have an ATPL with 500 to 1500 hours? Surely you need at least 1500 hrs. The e mail address for replies keeps coming back with error messages. Anyone else found this?
LAMU

Splat
2nd Dec 2002, 09:30
lamu,

Yes, me too. I guess their mailbox is full!

S

kwaiyai
2nd Dec 2002, 10:18
Engee737,
Ok I'll do that but I havnt got the MPA time anyhow. The loan sounds fair enough but what I meant by "stumping up" is the same thing as paying for by money in the bank etc and my point was If I had the relevant experience hopefully I would be reemployed on a bond. Rather not pay anymore if poss.
Regards.

AYR521
2nd Dec 2002, 15:34
[email protected] is not accepting any message,my application keeps coming back and Friday 6 December is getting closer.
Are they serius about this new scheme?

Splat
2nd Dec 2002, 18:50
aztruck,

Quote "Makes the Astraeus Cadet scheme quite attractive!! If your'e going to blow 23k you should talk to us about a 73 type rating and save yourself 7 grand!!
01293 819817 and ask for Sue Masson.
An unashamed plug!! Oh yes ...and that includes base training and if you want line training there's probably a deal to be done.
I think there are tax advantages to be had, so you might as well have them!!"

If there was even a sniff of a job at the end of it I'd give it a shot. Without that, I'm not prepared to take the risk.

S

Flysundone
2nd Dec 2002, 20:31
AYR521,

having the same problem, sent several e-mails to the address in the Newsletter, all returned.

foghorn
3rd Dec 2002, 08:00
Splat,

You're not on you own there. Even with a high chance of a job afterwards, rather than a definite offer, I'd be more than happy to pay for a type rating.

However I'm not going to gamble 15+ grand on an off-chance of a job.

foggy.

Go-Around
3rd Dec 2002, 13:57
Has anyone managed to get an email through??
I'm trying to send it with hotmail, is anyone else having the same problem with a different email address??

angelorange
3rd Dec 2002, 17:53
it's not just hotmail - I've tried using ntlworld as well.

seems that email address isn't working

---------------------

instructors - they're the one's who taught you to fly! For the most part they were (and probably still are) underpaid, self employed enthusiasts who had to put up with your near death inducing abilities every time you chose to demonstrate them - usually near the ground! So let's put a stop to this rubbish about who's a better pilot for the easy airline - the pyscho tests, group work and sim ride will sort most of us out!

As for advanced handling - military and aerobatic flying instructors know a darn sight nore about unusual attitude recovereries than some airline pilots I've met.........

scroggs
4th Dec 2002, 13:26
As NGee 73 and I have both suggested, it looks like the multi-crew experience requirement may be a temporary measure to soak up some turbo-prop-experience that is currently in the marketplace. Once this supply has dried up, it's likely that EZ will remove this requirement - so keep an eye on the website!

Splat
4th Dec 2002, 13:35
Yes, I agree, however unless they fix their Email, tehy won't be hearing from anybody.

S

Go-Around
4th Dec 2002, 13:48
Has anyone at all got an email to go through?

Splat
4th Dec 2002, 14:12
I've tried every day since Friday to no avail. I've also Emailed it to another address, and although that worked I got no feedback or reply. I've also filled in the online support form with no reply either.

They apear to have a policy of not replying (to save money aparently), and discourage the use of the phone. Beats me.

S

Impressive_Wingspan
10th Dec 2002, 20:19
Just out of interest did anyone get an e-mail to the EJ recruitment team and get a response?

Having read all the posts i am surprised that so many people opposed to this scheme. May i be so bold to suggest that the subjects opposed are already sat in a nice shiny boeing 737.
I would love the opportunity to get my size nines in the easy door, and think what they are suggesting in terms of renumeration is reasonable. So you are going to do plenty of flying and will earn £38K once you make SFO, and your complaint is what? I would give up my turboprop F/O position up now for this scheme, and i know the other lads who work for the same company as me would too, at least that would give someone with less hours than me a chance to a get a foot on the ladder.

However i cannot get my application in so that really doesn't matter, shame!

Splat
11th Dec 2002, 06:59
IW,

If it's any consolation, I never managed to get through. I agree with you about the scheme and the critics of it.

S

jayteeto
11th Dec 2002, 13:45
I may have the wrong end of the stick here, however my reading of the scheme is that you don't get 38k as a SFO on this scheme. For the first 5 years you are on 'special' rates of pay are lower by approximately the same figure as your type rating 'payback'. In other words 23 grand to join the club. Is this correct?

Impressive_Wingspan
11th Dec 2002, 16:59
RANK (Attained within sponsored period) TYPE RATING SPONSORED PILOTS (5 yrs)
First Officer £24,766
Senior First Officer £31,716
Captains £55,000

Those rates are from the easyJet website, type rating sponsorship section. Just something to think about, who is going to have 500 hours with Multi Pilot experience in a commercial operation and NO CURRENT BOND TO PAY? I would think anyone with an ounce of sence wouldn't leave a company they had just joined with a hefty bond outstanding to join this scheme, but do correct me if i'm wrong. I know that myself and most of the lads at work are around the 3000 hour mark and out of their bond period which having spoken to most of them about this scheme is the key element. However lets say a candidate had 1000 hours on joining the scheme, and when easyJet have done their factorising and you get the line training done etc, you will not be a million miles from SFO, eight months perhaps. The above rates quote £31,716, and taking the average numbers of sectors quoted on easyJets website, a figure previously quoted by WWW of £6K isn't unreasonable (also bearing in mind he works for them) = £37,716.

Impressive_Wingspan
13th Dec 2002, 18:57
So i assume from the lack of response that not many people have heard from easyJet regarding the F/O sposorship scheme. This does seem a little strange to me, why would they send out an e-mail asking people to respond only for;
a)The e-mail address not to work
b) Seemingly not invite anyone to assesment for a course which they said in the origional e-mail would begin in March.
Any takers??

aardvark keeper
13th Dec 2002, 21:18
I tried the email address & got the usual failed message, so I sent it to the originator of the email - Laura ........

The 12th has gone & not a sausage :-(

tano
14th Dec 2002, 01:29
Has anybody received an invite for the 13th/20th ????

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Dec 2002, 11:34
Well it seems like there was a damp fuse on this particular firework. I have no idea why the email failed.

All I can speculate is that currently the company is undergoing an enormous amount of change. They were taking the entire reservations system offline last night to combine the two etc. etc.

I would hope that in the near future they will get the application system properly sorted and re-open it for submissions. As I undestand it every single FO who meets the minimum hours requirment is being considered for a Command course. Replacements will be needed...

Good luck

G-SPOTs Lost
14th Dec 2002, 16:35
Tano

No have you?

An additional line of words to get past the server, taking up bandwidth which is sort of defeating the object isn't it ???:confused:

Luke SkyToddler
14th Dec 2002, 17:38
It does seem a bit odd to apply a 1500 hour maximum to this scheme and then require multi pilot experience ... in other words they're basically looking to steal freshly minted FO's from other airlines? There surely can't be that many of those on the market who aren't already bonded for their existing positions.

I could list plenty of people with way in excess of 1500 hours, who have been hammering the regular EZY recruitment channels and can't seem get a look in, who would happily apply for the type rating scheme but now appear to be over qualified ... so what gives :confused:

Impressive_Wingspan
14th Dec 2002, 18:41
Luke S
The e-mail i got gave 500-1500 Hours as the requirement, however the easyJet website just says a minimum of 500 on which my hopes are pinned. I am a prime example of a person who has been trying for 12 months to get in through the normal recruitment channel (infact just get an assessment) but don't fulfil the minimum requirements for that, and have too many hours for the type rating sponsorship. I do intend raising this topic with the recruitment team at the eJ roadshow this week and i will be interested to hear their response.

scroggs
14th Dec 2002, 20:35
I wouldn't get too hung up on this multi-crew requirement - there are very few people who can comply with this, and they won't be in the marketplace for long! As long as events in the Gulf don't bu**er everything up, EZ are going to find it progressively more difficult to get people as the market picks up. The entry requirements will therefore get progressively less restrictive.

And if they don't sort out their admin set-up, they'll get no new pilots at all. :rolleyes:

tano
15th Dec 2002, 04:21
G spot

I've not heard anything, but I have all the requirements!! Seems like no body has been invited.

zoru
15th Dec 2002, 20:11
its easy to sit in the rhs of something shiny with endless cuppa's etc and pronounce that everything is hunkydory /its a great scheme etc.

however where does it end?...

scenario A: would you be so happy to be asked to pay for your transition to an airbus?

or even B:how about coughing up for any costs incurred in a command course?

personally i think easy is a great success story and good luck to them.however i think that all pilots should be concerned about the gradual erosion of conditions which seems to be accelerating,in the industry in general. :)

jayteeto
15th Dec 2002, 20:53
500 to 1500 hrs are the requirement. That may be factored hours using the conversion table in the website. Single Eng is 0.3=1, Multi is 0.7=1 That will bring your overall totals down a bit. My 4500 hours rotary counts as approx 1300 hours. ie I qualify for the scheme.

kwaiyai
16th Dec 2002, 01:17
Impressive_wingspan,
I'm interested by the latest 500 hours min only which I saw as well, I'm pretty sure though it stated at one time 500 to 1500 on MPA A/Craft then 500 to 1500 TT now 500 TT min. Maybe the website is being updated, who knows.

Impressive_Wingspan
16th Dec 2002, 10:28
The type rating scheme section of the website is a little confusing in that initially it says "you require between 500-1500 hours", but then further down says 500 hours is the minimum requirement. It doesn't mention factorising, but i assume they would factorise candidates hours.

aardvark keeper
16th Dec 2002, 19:52
The original email mentioned the multicrew time, but i have just looked on the site & there is no mention of the requirement, just 500 TT

Did anyone go to the roadshow today & have any news to pass on?

( I have been before & I would have gone but had to work at my second job ) :(

AYR521
2nd Feb 2003, 18:32
So was anybody selected for this scheme?

Splat
3rd Feb 2003, 08:11
I have not heard from anybody.

My fustrations remain, as I'd realy like to get on this scheme, meet all the requirements and have filled in the application form.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get a word in with the big Easy? I hear it said that cold calling and phoning does not go down well, so I'm at a loss how to get hold of them.

See yas

Splat

Freezing ATPL
3rd Feb 2003, 14:27
The type-rating scheme does exist and recruitment for it is still on-going . I was called for assessment and have since done the sim ride and been offered a place on the course in March. I was one of five at the assessment and know of other people who have since been called. While I was in Luton I told them about the problems with the email addres and they were aware of it. However, they had had 400 replies to Laure Rensburg's own email address and it seems they are wading through them which is good news for those still waiting. I don't know why I was called and others haven't been. I have 1100hrs of which 900 are multi-crew turboprop. Good luck to those who have applied.

Bucking Bronco
3rd Feb 2003, 16:15
Guys

Don't do it. If nobody applies to the likes of EZY and Ryanair then they will have to start rethinking their unfair hiring practices. Can you really consider being paid £24k for 5 years living in the South East? What sort of property/lifestyle will that get you?

BB

Splat
3rd Feb 2003, 16:25
BB,

I beg to differ. My reading is that you'll take home a lot more than 24K. I do agree however that it should really be for the airlines to pay for this type of training, but sadly that's just not the way it is at the moment.

When the rumoured pilot shortage hits, rest assured they'll pay for your training, till then, you pay to join the club, unless you have a very good network or are extraordinarily lucky.

Splat

Impressive_Wingspan
4th Feb 2003, 19:46
As i see it you are not really paying for your training. It says on the easyJet website that they will pay an additional £5000 per year for five years, that would cover any loan payments, and a bit of interest as well. Whats the betting that the loan provider they introduce you too is easyMoney! I could be wrong though, please do correct me if so, it was just a stab in the dark.
As for the salary, as previously covered on the thread you would not be far from SFO (joining with the sort of hours they stipulate an entry requirement) and therefore on 34K plus flight pay after not very long. A good deal if you ask me.