PDA

View Full Version : The Spirit of the Wright Brothers in Europe - Journalist Research

mstibbe
29th Nov 2002, 11:43
I'm doing research for Popular Science magazine (www.popsci.com) to find European examples of the spirit of the Wright Brothers in preparation for a special conference next year to mark the centenary of their first flight.

I am looking for suggestions of interesting/innovative/struggling-but-energetic/etc. companies that are pushing the envelope of engineering, design, and technology, but which may be up against great odds, many nay-sayers, little money, etc. They can also be academic departments, pure R&D within large or small companies--anything, as long as it's aviation and aerospace-related.

It's important that the whole anniversary isn't dominated by Americans and American businesses so please help!

Matthew Stibbe

Notso Fantastic
29th Nov 2002, 15:45
Possibly worthy of inclusion in your article is not just the Wright Brothers, but the famous Colonel Cody and his early pioneering flying experiences at Farnborough Airfield in Surrey. An American, I believe his exploits are not well known in the US, but his pioneering aviation experiences are well known in British circles.

mstibbe
29th Nov 2002, 15:53
Col. Cody's good but I'm really looking for modern examples. People doing this stuff TODAY. Sorry - I wasn't clear in my original post. Matthew

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2002, 16:04
MARS and AspireSpace's amateur rocketry programmes?

The birth and growth of microlight aviation over the last 20 years?

Wilsch airmotive and their development of the aero-diesel?

Richard Noble and his various car projects (also the F1, but that never got off the ground).

Terry Francis and his team at Reality Aircraft, and their development of the Easy Raider?

Martin Sweeting and his team's development of the microsatellite at UOSAT?

Black Knight?

Peter Lovegrove at British Gyroplanes, and his long quest to ressurect the gyro as a safe aircraft?

The development of the Europa by Ivan Shaw and his team?

G

Memetic
29th Nov 2002, 16:34
How about :

www.starchaser.co.uk
The UK space programme!

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Dec 2002, 08:14
I deliberately didn't list starchaser, and before publishing anything about the project, I'd strongly recommend talking to other rocketry experts (not me, but anybody in any of the big groups).

G