PDA

View Full Version : Laptops with WiFi built in - safety issue ?

comqsat
28th Nov 2002, 16:07
Yesterday I was on a flight back to the UK from Delhi, and the passenger sitting next to me was using his laptop. We got talking and since I was an electronics engineer and this guy was showing me his fancy laptop, and I noticed when it booted up the builtin wireless networking checked for the presence of network.

It struck me that such network card is an RF transmitter, and they really shouldn't be used on an aircraft and I showed him how to switch off the wireless networking. In my experience most laptop users are novices and just power up the equipment and use it.
Increasingly new laptops are coming ready equipped with WiFi builtin.

During the flight I asked the crew about such devices and they said that such devices should not be used. What surprised me was that no explicit warning was given about laptops with WiFi, since most users would not know what happens during the bootup sequence.

What is the risk, and have airlines cottoned-on to these devices, especially since users are unlikely to realise their shiny new laptop contained an RF transmitter ?

SiMon

hptaccv
28th Nov 2002, 20:52
...on the other hand, I just heard that Lufthansa is implementing the first broadband internet connection on board an aircraft (connexion by boeing), utilising either ethernet access via rj-45 between the seats, OR W-Lan... How does that add up?

Tinstaafl
29th Nov 2002, 15:12
My laptop has both WiFi & Bluetooth built in. It also has a physical switch to enable/disable the antenna(s).

There's a question: They both operate in the same band. Wonder if a single, common antenna is used?

ORAC
15th Jan 2003, 13:55
Today, January 15th, Lufthansa began offering broadband Internet service on Boeing 747-400s, beginning with the daily service between Frankfurt and Washington. In the first quarter of 2003, the airlines company will also begin providing Wi-Fi LAN ( 802.11a) service in over 50 lounges.

Connexion by Boeing, a unit of Boeing, in Seattle, Washington, will provide the satellite-based data communications service in the air. The service offera a 20Mbps pipe to the aircraft and 1Mbps from the aircraft, shared between the passengers and the crew. Connection speed per PC should average about 256K.

First-class and business-class travelers can plug their notebooks aircraft's onboard LAN via their seats or, alternatively, use Wi-Fi. Economy-class passengers can connect to the system with Wi-Fi-equipped notebooks. The aircraft carries 50 laptops for customer use. The service is free for the first 3 months, there after the cost is expected to be around $35 a flight.

Connexion has enlisted several other airline customers, including BA, JAL and SAS. BA plans to roll out the service in February.

Pprune onboard first flight (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78251)