PDA

View Full Version : Sherburn Aero Club

rocafellascunk
28th Nov 2002, 12:49
Hi there I am soon to embark on attaining my PPL. I am at the stage of looking for a good flying school (preferably local to me). I live in York. Are there any student PPLs out there who are or have been to Sherburn Aero Club? If so what is it like ie instructors, aircraft,ground school etc. I know this is a very broad question. I would just like to know if you are happy and would recomend it.
Thanks for your time

knobbygb
28th Nov 2002, 13:20
rocafellascunk,

I'm a student at Sherburn and I'm very happy with the place. It's got lots of members and the aircraft and instructors are all booked up weeks ahead, so they must be doing somthing right.

I travel quite a long way to get there and still think it's worthwhile. Living in York, it's certainley going to be the most convenient place for you. There are also schools at Leeds/Bradford and Humberside to consider.

I prefer a 'club' rather than 'school' because they are not there to make a profit and so are generally cheaper. Check out Sherburns prices on their website and compare!

I'll send you an email with more details as I don't want to be 'advertising' on here, and it probably wouldn't interest most people anyway.

Wherever you choose to learn, get down there and meet the people and judge the atmosphere for yourself. You'll spend a lot of time and money there so you need to be happy.

[edit...]
perhaps not as you have your email disabled - check you private messages.

DRJAD
29th Nov 2002, 06:48
Entirely concur with Kgb, above.

I'm nearing, hopefully, the end of my training phase at SAC, and am delighted with the support I've received, and with the quality of instruction.

I would definitely continue further training with SAC when the time and opportunity arises.

Like Kgb, I also travel a fair distance to get there, but entirely within North Yorkshire. The only downside is that SAC is so busy that it can be difficult to book up enough sessions with sufficient frequency for absolute comfort: but that's liveable with.

rocafellascunk
29th Nov 2002, 07:57
DRJAD & kNOBBYGB,
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will certainly give the club a visit soon.

knobbygb
29th Nov 2002, 08:12
One thing that's worth remembering is that the weather in the Vale of York can be even worse than the surrounding areas. If it's foggy in the morning it will often persist all day around Sherburn even when it clears everywhere else. It's not uncommon to be driving to the field under clear blue skies until you're a couple of miles away and be in thick fog by the time you get there :mad:

I just feel like having a rant, because I've just had my skills test cancelled for the SEVENTH TIME in 2 weeks :mad: :( Either it's too misty or the wind blows the mist away and it's then too windy to use the hard runway. I now have to wait 12 days until my next booking - better get the shorts and t-shirt out because the weather's bound to be lovely for the next week :cool:

stiknruda
29th Nov 2002, 08:34
I compete (aeros) against quite a few lads/lasses that have learnt to fly at SAC. They all do well.

A nice place, excellent CFI (Cas).

Have fun.

Stik

Beethoven
29th Nov 2002, 08:53
I have been contemplating joining sherburn for quite a while now as I love that part of the country and fancy a bit of a change.Is it much easier to get a booking to hire as a PPL rather than as a student (with instructor) or are the planes themselves really booked up?Went down a few weeks ago to speak to the cfi and I have to admit that the welcome was excellent and nothing was too much trouble.Just the only problem is that I like to be able to hire without too much notice due to the nature of my employment (ie never know where I am going to be from one week to the next!!).Best wishes,
Beet

knobbygb
29th Nov 2002, 13:38
Beet, as far as I can tell, there's usually somthing available at short notice - depends how fussy you are about what you fly really.

The usual way things are organised is to have, say, 4 or 5 instructors using the Cadets and perhaps a couple of Warriors or a C150. This will usually leave at least 2 Warriors and the 2 Robins, plus a C150 available for club hire. There is also an Archer which is reserved for 100hour pilots and so is never used for training, a C140 and a Mudry Cap 10B, if that takes your fancy. I've never been there when all the aircraft were in use at one time.

Obviously weekends are busiest, and at this time of year they seem to be busier than in summer with less total hours flyable each day so more a/c in use. All in all, I'd be surprised if nothing were available on a typical wekeday with only 24hrs notice.

Beethoven
29th Nov 2002, 14:16
Many thanks Knobbygb,thats great news..and since I can only fly one at a time I guess that's enough! see you down there soon,
Best wishes,
Beet

Keef
29th Nov 2002, 16:44
I visited Sherburn a few weeks ago, and was delighted at how friendly the folks there were. Delightful field, good facilities.

If I lived "oop theer", that's where I'd be based. Couldn't fault it, and there aren't many I'd say that about.

DB6
1st Dec 2002, 09:31
Yep, good place. Initial joining is a bit pricey but after that the hourly rates are some of the best you'll find anywhere. A good choice of aircraft, fine CFI, and being within the Church Fenton MATZ you get good service from them should you need it. Also a very healthy aerobatics scene.
Hey, Stik, do you mean they do well or just that they beat you?:D :D :D :D . Sorry couldn't resist it. I know I'm not one to talk but Hypocrite is my middle name :cool: .