PDA

View Full Version : Shorthaul Airfield Briefing?

Jemy
27th Nov 2002, 07:48
Just wondering how those who fly shuttle services continually between 2 destinations brief each other. Do you say for example, " Standard 24 at Edinburgh" or do a full brief each time?

Thanks

dolly737
27th Nov 2002, 08:07
Hi Jemy,

I have to admit that I'm doing multi-sector shuttles quite rarely, but even then it is imperative to do a full brief. Traffic/Wx/Ops conditions (should be included) are never the same, and besides demanded by most SOPs it is good operating practice.

fatboy slim
27th Nov 2002, 09:32
Depends who you are flying with. Someone you know and fly with often, and have briefed the approach recently with - a 'standard brief' especially for home base is IMHO the best option as it saves time to concentrate on RT / TCAS / Descent etc etc.

Flying with folk who you havn't flown with or havn't done the route recently - brief it up!!

Localiser Green
28th Nov 2002, 08:18
It must be a bit of a push on the likes of a LHR-MAN shuttle run though? Have been on such flights and they tend to last about 30-35 minutes takeoff to touchdown. Flying at the lower levels (FL180/190) must mean more r/t work and T/C to T/D must be about 6 or 7 minutes at most?

Is it feasable to do the departure brief and approach brief on the stand @ LHR in those circumstances?

fatboy slim
28th Nov 2002, 10:23
I think LHR - MAN would be long enough to cover the important bits in the cruise. I do EDI/GLA - BHX alot and that's regularly less than 45 mins and there is sufficient time.

I have briefed the approach on the ground only when doing very short sectors eg positioning aircraft eg MAN-BHX or EDI-GLA.

Fil
29th Nov 2002, 16:09
As stated above all approaches/take offs are different so just saying 'standard Heathrow' for example isn't done very often.

However, on numerous oocasions when flying with someone I've flown with many times before we may shortern it to... (on an A320)

Standard Lamborne with vectors for 27L

Using LON/HRW/LAM (pointing these out on NAV AID page on FMGC)

at 135knots, Flaps Full down to 280 ft (pointing these out on perf page)

Managed nav Go-Around checked, 2000ft (showing go around in F Plan)

Fuel, enough for 20mins plus Gatwick (show fuel page)

Medium and Idle please (autobrake and reverse selections)

PLUS anything else significant.

On the 320 it is best that both parties ensure the FMGC is fully programmed, but most of the pertinant parts of the brief can be covered by doing so....but again one must mention the significant changes.

Heard of one skipper who would start with,

'Do you want the long or short brief',

Short was...'27 left'

Long was ...'London Heathrow, 27 Left'

Chesty Morgan
13th Dec 2002, 16:30
If all youve done for the last year is fly between the same two airports with the same 5 captains then even on the first sector it becomes "standard handling and emergencies, runway **, flap **, flexing". Arrival is probably "standard **" Occasionally brief the go-around. How Gash I hear you say but when you can remember every frequency, navaid, and plates for the respective airports is it necessary for the full brief??? Rather be paying attention to ATC, R/T, situational awareness. When both of you know the score this is the preffered method (particularly if its the second time that day for the same arrival and runway). If however you are flying with somebody for the first time then its prudent to give the full brief, especially if they havent been to either airport before.