PDA

View Full Version : FAA FAR/AIM online? medical questions

EightsOnPylons
26th Nov 2002, 17:58
Hello friends,

I am trying to find the FAA FAR online? I have gone through the whole www.faa.gov website but found nothing. Does anyone know if an online version exists?

Can an instructor instruct without a medical?
Can an instructor intstruct and release solos with a third class medical?
Or is a second class medical required for instructing?

These are the questions I am trying to find answes for!

big thanks,

slim_slag
26th Nov 2002, 18:09
FARS (http://www1.faa.gov/avr/arm/index.cfm)

AIM (http://www1.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/)

You can instruct without a valid medical as long as you don't have to be PIC. You also cannot be safety pilot. I don't think this is in the FAR/AIM, you need to look at FAA General Council rulings. AOPA would have more info on this.

EightsOnPylons
26th Nov 2002, 20:56
Thank you very much for your information! Great!

Do you know if you may instruct and be PIC on a third class medical, or does it require a second class medical?

I can't seem to find this information in the FARS.

thanks,

slim_slag
27th Nov 2002, 15:03
Try 61.23. I didn't know there was much difference between a 2nd and 3rd class medical. Walk in there under your own steam, greet the doc and not the hatstand, and it's a slam-dunk.

weasil
28th Nov 2002, 00:10
Pt 61 specifically says that yes you can instruct while holding a third class medical. It also says as mentioned earlier that if your student has at least a private license and a medical and is legal to act as PIC then you don't even have to have a medical at all.

Although why not get one? If you can't then why are you in aviation?

EightsOnPylons
1st Dec 2002, 23:03
thank you all, I found it there in the FAR 61.23. I was just wondering because I have a second class that is about to expire into third class, and my question was if I had to renew it to be able to instruct. But the answer is no!¨

thanks

ATPMBA
14th Dec 2002, 13:59
I believe you can instruct on a third class medical, years ago this was not the case. Be aware of a possible trap with a third class medical.

The scenario is you are instructing and in comes a customer for sightseeing or aerial photography ride, if you take them up it is a commercial activity, you will need a second class medical. If you are ramp checked or there is an incident the FAA will say “Gotcha.” Also, many insurance policies are written stating that you need an appropriate FAA medical, it’s possible if something happens they may refuse to pay up. A way to avoid this trap is to “change” the sightseeing or aerial photography ride into an introductory flight lesson. CYA