PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Liverpool Area

VORTIME
25th Nov 2002, 19:05
Hi -

Any advice on flying into Liverpool Airport from the ENE dir?

Anything appreciated - first flight to this side of the sea.

VT

long final
25th Nov 2002, 20:45
Are you landing LPL or passing through?

LF

VORTIME
25th Nov 2002, 20:54
LFL - Landing For Lunch, then departing in same direction as arrival.

long final
26th Nov 2002, 21:54
VT,

Not too sure exactly what you want to know, but from the ENE you have Leeds and Manchester to navigate/avoid. POL VOR DCT Burtonwood vrp would put you nicely in position, Leeds would probably pass you to either LPL, Warton or Blackpool from POL. You shouldn't have any need to talk to Manchester, just watch out for the class A/D and Pennines combo.

Barton is near your track and can get busy.

LPL itself should be pretty straight forward. They do get busy, but have plenty of GA activity. The field is very easy to spot, Mersey south and the mushroom tower ( can't miss it ) to the North, just remember that there is the old Speke field very close to the WNW.

Good GA parking, but as I remember, not the cheapest place to land. (Had a very expensive night landing there once :( )

If there is anything more specific I let me know. Have a good trip either way.

Best Regards,
LF

Jude
27th Nov 2002, 13:14
Aside from the airspace mentioned above, read the AIP entry regarding PPR and the VFR entry exit procedures. The routing in and out of the Liverpool zone depends on the runway in use, check the atis 124.325. Any routing other than those published is at ATCs descretion and depends on traffic levels.

squibbler
27th Nov 2002, 16:40
For gawds sake don't turn up without PPR. The airport can handle multiple jet diversions at the drop of a hat but appears to go into meltdown* when a solitary C172 turns up without PPR:rolleyes:

*This of course does not apply to EGGP ATC who handle the rubbish (planes & paperwork) thrown at them daily with aplomb..........:D

Plan on a standard VFR join as per the AIP. On first contact don't give your life story - "Liverpool Approach G****, VFR inbound with PPR" will do. When controller asks you to pass your details, do so and tag on that you are in receipt of the latest ATIS info and requesting a "Standard VFR join at *** for runway 27/09". The controller will be so overcome with your levels of local knowledge and preparedness he/she will probably offer you a more direct inbound routing; and whilst doing so thinking to him/herself - "Christ I wish all visiting pilots were this good...."

Catch my drift..............:p

Be seeing you soon.....................;)