View Full Version : What is a PFL?

Kefuddle_UK
24th Nov 2002, 08:33
Well...what is it?

:)

Sensible
24th Nov 2002, 08:41
It's a Practice Forced Landing

Training for what to do if the engine stops or loses power unexpectedly!

Genghis the Engineer
24th Nov 2002, 09:06
Essentially when flying along doing something else, you close the throttle (and if applicable open carb heat), then simulating engine failure (time permitting) run through any RT calls you'd make, perform essential checks (canopy and harness mostly) whilst picking a suitable field for an emergency landing and setting up for it as if to land.

As you'll see from the two threads I'm guilty of starting, there is some debate about how often one should do PFLs, and at what height it is realistic or safe to initiate go-around at the end of the exercise.

G

Kefuddle_UK
24th Nov 2002, 10:32
Thanks guys.

Now you mention it, I am suprised just how low I see other aircraft flying when I am out training. Even in a tiny Cesspit 152, a Glide is -500fpm. 1 1/2 to 2 mins does not give you much time to turn, position and land. Maybe that is just how it seems to me at the moment.

vancouv
24th Nov 2002, 11:13
You're right that it doesn't seem much time at first, but after a bit of practice you do have time to spare - provided you pick your field early of course!!

Personally, I found PFLs one of the hardest things, and got a partial failure on my GFT because of it, but it went OK on the next attempt.

John Farley
24th Nov 2002, 12:59
Good stuff from Genghis.

I would add that more than a few PFLs have turned into real ones when the throttle was opened to go around. It is very important to remember this can happen, especially if it has got cold during the idle glide, and always allow for it. This means stopping the PFL as soon as you have any doubt that it will be OK, not waiting to see if you can stop it being hopeless.

It also means doing a gentle throttle opening not a slam. Give the thing max chance.

2WingsOnMyWagon
24th Nov 2002, 16:41
I would recommend that if you are going to do some PFLs, that you should "warm" the engine on the way down. What I mean by this is gently apply full power for a second or two every thousand feet. It may take away a bit of the realism but you dont want it TO real ether! I was only shown this during my GFT, and my examiner was quite surprised i hadnt been shown this during my PPL training.
:)

Philip Whiteman
24th Nov 2002, 17:01
When my father and I used to fly together regularly, we would 'fail' the engine on each other from time to time - just to keep each other sharp. It's quite an educational game, is far more realistic than failing the engine on your own self and certainly teaches you lessons about awareness of wind direction (as well as the obvious things like field size).

jonathang
25th Nov 2002, 21:44
2wings that is how I have been taught to.

Cause of failure Checks
WARM
Mayday
WARM
Commited Checks
Warm

FI told me there has been incidents with Rich cuts on the go around too :( @ 500ft :(

Sultan Ismail
26th Nov 2002, 09:48
Inspiring confidence

The passengers just love it when you say that the sole reason to take an aeroplane into the air, is to find somewhere to land it.

From your very first takeoff, the Flying Club "Introductory Lesson", you have to consider that you may not land on the same field you have just departed.

So, don't wait for something to happen, identify potential landing sites at ALL times, then when the fan stops you won't sweat.

Now let me tell you of a trip I took 2 weeks ago from Kuala Lumpur to Tioman Island, after leaving the KLIA VFR route we headed due East for a 74 nm. leg over virgin jungle, there were very occasional clearings and a couple of access roads that cut across our track, but beneath us we had the worlds oldest rain forest with trees standing an average 200 feet, with lots of others popping up between them reaching to 300 feet.

Then the track continued over the coast direct to Tioman, 30 minutes, with our life jackets, I felt quite relaxed.

IF, and thank god it didn't happen, our chances would have been slim over those trees, but even worse was the fact that the most common cat down there is the tiger.

Having since discussed this scenario in the clubhouse and read the small print in the Club rules, one should heed the absence of landing sites and flight plan closer to habitation and possible landing sites, i.e.fly a dogs leg.

Needless to say my favourite flying exercises are PFL's and short landings.

You have to come down, better make it a good one.

MLS-12D
6th Dec 2002, 16:40
vancouv,

I had the same experience as you: passed all of my PPL flight test except the PFL. I crowded the field, resulting in way too much height on final; and the examiner and I agreed that I would not have made the field successfully if it had been 'the real thing'. Eveything else went fine - including the simulated emergency call and the rest of the PFL - and it was a frustrating experience to get only a partial pass. :(

I went up with the examiner a week later and completed the PFL re-test, fortunately without incident. :)

What made this more embarrasing than it would otherwise have been is that at the time I had about 50 hours P1 time in sailplanes! :o

MLS-12D

Bear 555
8th Dec 2002, 06:58
Have to concur with all above, Kefuddle_UK. During my training and subsequent check-out's the PFL was always a 'big deal'.

Flying in t'North is not all green fields and open ground. Mountains and forrests go on for miles and miles. The very thought of an engine failure makes you think real hard. Almost waiting for it to happen....

As you get the hang of it, the 'formailty' of the PFL becomes less important than the end result. Of course all the checklist items are there for a reason, but the key issue in the event of a real failure is walking away at the end of the game!

Good luck with the rest of your training.

Kefuddle_UK
8th Dec 2002, 11:38
Bear,

Actually this started to play on my mind quite a bit with major credit to Genghis for rasing the subject here. Although the subject is big in the manuals and the instructor makes a big deal out of it, PFL still had that 'driving test' feel to it. Maybe my perception! Anyways, I delayed going solo because I did not feel if the event, however unlikely, took place, my response would not be decisive , timely nor correct! Because of bad weather my solo was subsequently delayed by two hours :( but what a good solo it was :)

As you get the hang of it, the 'formailty' of the PFL becomes less important than the end result. Of course all the checklist items are there for a reason, but the key issue in the event of a real failure is walking away at the end of the game!
Exactly what my instructor said.

Good luck with the rest of your training.
Thanks mate. It is going well, if only the same could be said of the weather :rolleyes:

Nice one!
Kef.

Bear 555
8th Dec 2002, 13:14
Kef,

You're most welcome.

Yeah, first solo was a hell of a day for me too. Like 'S**t, I've no-one to talk to now'. I still chanted out the checklist going downwind though and looked across to check 'his' harness was tight! Doh.

All of the exercises need to be taught formally while you bash it into your brain, but as you get used to it - suddenly it all becomes clear and so much easier. Practice makes for relaxing - even for PFL's. I did not ever think I would be relaxed in a Cessna 150/152, but it did happen.

We won't talk about exam nerves though, thats another story for another day!

Bear