PDA

View Full Version : History of the Airfield at Le Touquet

2Donkeys
24th Nov 2002, 08:31
I am currently embarking on writing a short history of the airfield at Le Touquet, from its origins in the early part of last century, through its zenith in the 50s and 60s up to the present day. Over the last few years, I have managed to collect numerous postcards, memories, maps and plans to help me along the way, but I could always benefit from more information. Surprisingly significant pieces of information have been lost in the mists of time. Questions such as the year in which the current terminal was built, and the date the last train ran from the airport railway station still remain to be conclusively answered.

If you have recollections, however small, relating to the airfield, either of an aeronautical or historical nature, I would be very keen to hear from you at [email protected]. Similarly, I would be delighted to receive scans of photos, postcards, historic runway layouts and other pieces of the puzzle. Credit given to any/all who contribute.

To stimulate the brain cells, here is a photo-montage of the same shot in 2002... and 1948 celebrating the opening of the Silver City car service to Lympne. This shot is taken from behind the current day Escale restaurant; the former airport terminal building.

Thanks in advance

http://www.polestaraviation.com/lfat/LFAT0248.jpg