PDA

View Full Version : Landing at EGCC RWY 06L

EGCC_pax
24th Nov 2002, 01:10
Just a Question to the Pilots who Fly into Manchester.

When you land at MAN on rwy 06L does this runway suffer from the effect of cross wind?

Every time I have landed at MAN on 06L It usually is a rough landing yet when using 24R no problem is encountered?

Paul

ETOPS
24th Nov 2002, 12:27
Even in the days before runway two, when it was plain old "06", you could still find landing a bit tricky. The reasons were twofold:-
The easterly wind that brought that landing direction into play
The pronounced upslope of the touchdown area.

Because the threshold of 06L sits right over a deep valley there is usually a curlover effect just as you cross the end of the runway - this can vary with wind speed/direction from a slight wobble through to windshear requiring a go-around! Coupled with the rising runway (it looks quite steep) you can find yourself coping with a destabilised approach at low altitude and then having to flare more than normal for the upslope. The result is usually a lot of rocking & rolling at 200' followed by a hard landing.

EGCC_pax
24th Nov 2002, 16:55
Thanks ETOPS for the info.

I must admit that my last landing on 06L on a A330 August this year was a bit on the bouncy side !

Paul :)

Georgeablelovehowindia
24th Nov 2002, 22:25
Personally, I prefer to collide with the upslope on 06L than float over the bump on 24R.