PDA

View Full Version : Whats the future for the Airline Pilot?

batty
23rd Nov 2002, 16:07
Having read all the negativity that is floating around and seen some of it first hand. Im just interested where pilots think their jobs will be in 5, 10 years time and at what salary and terms of service?

Are the Wannabees heading for the US system where they pay for their first 1000 hours turbo prop with a small cargo carrier at $30 ish per hour?

At the moment the industry is in ressesion post 9/11 all the majors contractingand jobcutting to stave off bankrupcy. The low fair sectory is blossoming at the moment and taking on a few people who are willing to pay for ratings etc for a rung on the ladder. Other airlines are offering 'perminent part time contracts'.

Where does it end and what is the future? Any ideas?

Easy Glider
24th Nov 2002, 13:37
Pilots have a wonderful future behind them:( :(

Modelmaker
25th Nov 2002, 12:50
this is my (wannabee, fATPL, 190 'real' fh, 1 year unemployed) version:

i think the current recession is doing good in a way to the image of pilots. We are aware concessions to get a job nowadays (salary, working hours) thereby 'demystifying' the job of the overpaid pilot. Why are pilots so special compared to other human beings? Being paid less (i'm talking to lower salaries to a more acceptable level and i want to go quite far in this) will hopefully frighten those who wish to start 'airline-pilot' just because the fact it brings heaps of money on a fairly easy way (and nowadays there are a lot of them), it will interest those who couldn't afford it as the system as it is now but are highly moivated (i see this phenomenom in my non-flying friends) - flight-trainings are going to wipe off their 'we will help you if you've money, but look for a job yourself afterwards'-image. I just want to get rid off of this "pilot=superhero" image.

Cadet-schemes are getting common which is good but selection is still not fair, too many candidates have daddy as pilot or know the interviewer/sim-checker. There's still a long way to go.

And yes, i'm a pilot and a human, but i would like to see the developpment of the unmanned aircraft in the near future - EVOLUTION!