PDA

View Full Version : 747SP flap track fairings?

Lump Jockey
21st Nov 2002, 21:08
Why does the SP have no flap track fairings on the main wings? Is it not the same wing as the classics?
Cheers!

Wino
22nd Nov 2002, 03:04
Didn't have the triple slotted flaps, because the aircraft was much lighter. So with the same wing, not as much flap was needed for acceptable approach speeds, thereby allowing an aerodynamic cleanup as well as a cost and weight savings.

Cheers
Wino

nitro rig driver
22nd Nov 2002, 13:56
it also has an extra 5 feet on the rudder hieght and each side of the horiz stab because of the shorter fuse
think the flaps on a sp have a straight screwjack arrangment
if you need/want more info let me know

gas path
22nd Nov 2002, 17:53
Yes! No flap 25 setting, also the programming was slightly different to the -100 and -200

Flight Detent
23rd Nov 2002, 00:31
I haven't flown an SP for some years now, but I seem to remember that the initial two flap selections, as per all the other B747s, all it does on the SP is select the LE flaps/slats.

That is, FLAP 1, only the 2&4 LEs move out, and FLAP 5, the 1&3 LEs move out, no TE flap movement until FLAP 10 is selected, please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it!

And, of course, the outboard ailerons are locked/unlocked by a 250 kias speed switch, unlike all other 747s!

Cheers

QAVION
23rd Nov 2002, 07:18
>And, of course, the outboard ailerons are locked/unlocked by a 250 kias speed switch, unlike all other 747s!

Or to be more accurate..... locked at 230kts with airspeed increasing... and unlocked at 220 kts with airspeed decreasing. Also, the 747-400 has both (LE) flap and airspeed logic for aileron lockout control.

I believe you are correct about SP LE flap deployment :)

The SP only has single slotted TE flaps.

Instead of traditional 747 sailboat fairings, the SP has "Flap Contour Restoration Doors" and "Cove Panels" on the TE Flaps to prevent turbulence.

Rgds.
Q.

LeadSled
23rd Nov 2002, 07:48
All,
No small thing, for what was THE long range aeroplane of the day, not having the canoe fairings and all that machinery saved a little over 9% in airframe drag, compared to the equivalent -100.
Tootle pip!!