PDA

View Full Version : Logging Time

pilotwolf
20th Nov 2002, 23:39
I have been asked to take a trip as a safety pilot on a longish trip in an R22 - only one crew required as per POH.

Problem is the pilot is a JAA PPL(H) and I am an FAA CPL(H), the aircraft is G registered.

Now as far as I am concerned I am along for the ride and odd radio call and nav duties. The owner/ppl pilot is worried who logs the P1 time and who's bum is on the line if anything goes wrong. He thinks that as I have the 'higher' qualification I should be the commander in case of errors but he wants to log the time! FCL at CAA seemed confused and put us on hold and we gave up after quite a few minutes wait!

Any ideas?

BlueEagle
21st Nov 2002, 09:33
I think you will find that your official status is "Pax", nothing more!:)

pilotwolf
21st Nov 2002, 09:53
Thanks...

Still comsidering whether its actually worth doing. I don't know the guy very well and only have someone elses assesmenet of his abilities - has about 20 hrs post ppl.

There is a nagging doubt that if soething did go wrong that I couldn't put right I might end up carrying the can. :(

Jetdriver
21st Nov 2002, 18:26
I think you are right PW.

You have been asked to act as a "safety pilot" by an inexperienced PPL who presumably is otherwise qualified to carry out the flight and will limit himself to the authority given by his licence. I think it sounds eminently sensible that he wants someone with far greater experience to accompany him on the trip. That is indeed the function of a safety pilot.

Obviously as a safety pilot you would not act in command other in an emergency ( in which case you can happily log P1 I would suggest ). If you intend to act as P1 in any other event then that would require you to be approved to do so by the relevant authority.

In this case he is obviously the "commander" and you are the experienced observer / passenger/ security blanket ? If he wants you to assume the role of commander he needs to be put straight. I don't blame you being concerned about his lack of experience, but it does seem very straightforward on the face of it.

1) He logs the P1 ( he is signing out the aircraft )

2) His "bum is on the line" as he is P1.

3) Your guidance and help is being sought due your own experience. ( seems very sensible)

4) Lesson 1 "command"

pilotwolf
22nd Nov 2002, 13:06
Thanks Guys.

In the process of trying to get an honest opinion on his abilities from his CFI,(?QFI here) first.

Think I ll get something written down before I go as a safeguard!

Tinstaafl
22nd Nov 2002, 17:36
Either he's Pilot in Command and logs it, or you are & you log it.

He can't have it both ways.

batty
23rd Nov 2002, 16:37
Can you legaly act as a safety pilot if your licence isnt valid over here and on a G registered aircraft.
I cant see how you can log the time if the licence isnt valid due to it not being JAA/CAA, as far as I can see you would be operating unlicenced!

pilotwolf
23rd Nov 2002, 19:11
Why wouldn't my licence be valid in the uk?

It's an ICAO state issued licence and I am current on type and all biannuals and medical are also current. I can self fly hire G aircraftwith it.

batty
24th Nov 2002, 08:48
As far as I am aware I cant go to the US with my CPL and hire a N reg aircraft, unless I obtain an FAA license. Similar for you over here.

Please tell me if Im wrong, US here I come....;)

pilotwolf
24th Nov 2002, 09:20
I believe the FAA will/would issue you with a PPL based on your UK licence - not sure what the situation is now after 9/11 - sure a search will get you the lastest info.

For a CPL it used to be a case of just take the exams and a checkride for licence issue, again not 100% sure of the situation now - no 14 exams and all the associated hoops to jump through.

Guess the school who will hire to me may be wrong but I don't think so, if you read the following CAA link - CAN'T work but the original question does refer to commerical gain except a free ride.

CAA FAQ (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/faq.asp?faqid=208)