PDA

View Full Version : What's the going rate

fibod
20th Nov 2002, 17:14
There have been plenty of threads here in the past about poor pay for PPL instructors. This one concerns the other end of the flight instructing scale.

I’m interested to hear what people think the pay should be for a commercial instructor teaching CPLs and IRs. I’ve been doing it a little while now, and my pay is mid £30Ks. I’m fortunate to have other sources of income and I quite like doing this, so that’s fine for me. Our more junior instructors are on a little under £30K and I believe our CFI earns mid £40Ks and the Head of Training a little more than that. We enjoy the normal benefits.

My generation of FIs will fade away one day. While there are some career instructors, there are very few ex-CFS chaps now who do this in between the military and the grave and even fewer ex-Airline.

I’m not the first to wonder where the next generation will come from. When I read on the sponsorship threads of the pay levels that can be achieved within a very few years by youngsters going into the ‘new generation’ of airlines, I wonder who would want to dedicate their career to instructing on the pay levels that are available at the top of the instructing ladder.

I’m interested to hear what the going rate is elsewhere in the industry now, and your views on the sustainability of professional licence instruction based on those rates.

Say again s l o w l y
20th Nov 2002, 19:24
Sounds pretty good to me. Usual hourly rate for CPL stuff is between £30-40/Hr.