PDA

View Full Version : Flying for Fun by Jack Parham

QDMQDMQDM
19th Nov 2002, 22:41
I've been looking for a copy of this whimsical account of pre-war flying for years. It's out of print (although Amazon and WH Smith list it) and even the incredible www.abe.com can't find a copy.

Anyone have any leads?

QDM

FlyingForFun
20th Nov 2002, 07:56
Sorry, no.

But I'm here if you want stories about flying! Although I'm not sure I can help with any of the pre-war stuff... I'm not that old yet.

:D

FFF
-------------

Windy Militant
20th Nov 2002, 09:53
QDM,
Is he the army type who bought his own aircraft to try out his theories about artillery spotting. If so there was programme about him on Channel Four many moons ago. I have it on tape somewhere if it's still playable I could copy it for you perhaps.

SlipSlider
20th Nov 2002, 10:52
QDM, the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop had copies on sale last time I was there (tel no 01980 - 674421).

Flying for Fun is indeed a whimsical book, featuring a delightful aeroplane - an Aeronca of course! :D

C3 G-AEFT was used in the television programme of the same name (BBC as I recall...), and was based at Wallop at the time.

Slip

Aerohack
20th Nov 2002, 11:53
QDM: Brian Cocks had one in his stocklist last time I looked. It's item DS10 in his catalogue, £6.50. He's at 18 Woodgate, Helpston, Peterborough PE6 7ED, phone/fax: 01733 252791, e-mail: [email protected] I'd sell you my copy, but of the thousands of aviation books that seem bent on occupying every available space in my home, this would be among the very last to go. A delightful little volume. Good luck!

QDMQDMQDM
20th Nov 2002, 21:21
Thanks, everyone. I'm on the trail! Tjhis site is an incredible resource.

WM -- check your PMs.

QDM

Sir George Cayley
21st Nov 2002, 01:42
Another book you may care to track down for your collection is "Airdays" by John F Leeming

He helped found the Lancashire Aero Club, promoted the building of the first municipal airport in Britain at Barton and started Northern Airlines.

All of this and more including landing an Avro Avian on a mountain in the Lake District are contained therein.

Its an excellent, though rare, read.

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

QDMQDMQDM
21st Nov 2002, 14:03
No luck, I'm afraid. Any other ideas?
;-)

QDM