PDA

View Full Version : Citation Crash at CYZP

flyingchinaman
17th Nov 2002, 02:34
Anyone heard about the Citation (Medivac) that Crashed at Sandspit a few days ago?

PaperTiger
17th Nov 2002, 06:24
Not much, except no injuries thankfully.
According to this (http://www2.mybc.com/news/bc/fs.cfm?source_id=CBC&id=1217584) it sounds like a gear collapse. Runway excursion ?

m&v
22nd Nov 2002, 23:27
Aircraft landed in bad winds ,lots of power on??Inadvertently landed with gear up.Traversed the runway,took out 4 lights.
Present talk of gear down ferry...
Started lots of bad talk between ER people,in the cabin(wanabee pilots),and their opinion of the front ends competency(as they see it)....:rolleyes:

flyingchinaman
23rd Nov 2002, 01:56
yes, I heard that they landed Gear up too. I remembered checking that day's Metar for Sandspit, they've got wild winds (>30kts gusting 50+kts) would make any pilot nervous doing an approach in conditions like that.

poor crew, could have happen to anyone.

bcpilot
24th Nov 2002, 00:22
A bunch of guys were talking the other day, "stupid idiots", "how could anybody land gear up", "you gotta be pretty dumb".... Kinda makes you wonder who it'll happen to next..

Just wondering if anybody has their own techniques for ensuring it won't happen to them (I mean other than the obvious following checklist and checking 3 green on short final)

Flyingspaniard
24th Nov 2002, 00:29
I don't believe anyone can say it would never happen to them...

I've witnessed a gear up landing once and a very near one by an ex harrier pilot in the UK. The guy had been asked to hold to the north of the airfield, then again downwind, then again on the baseleg and I think he was practicing assymetric so was trying to minimise the drag till the last minute...

Thankfully we were waiting at the holding point and were able to shout over the radio just in time and he went around about 12ft above the runway.

If it can happen to him it can happen to anyone...

m&v
24th Nov 2002, 22:12
We all live in Glass houses in this hyper critical industry.No one can afford to say'it won't happen to me'..Distraction at a critical time the worst enemy,or worrying about some issue to the extent of not knowing what you should be doing(forgotten chklists etc)..
I'm always impressed with outfits like AirBC,who do so many short legs,not having (gear ,late gear)incidents...
Cheers
:D

JesterYHZ
17th Dec 2002, 06:16
Not sure about the non-transport category aircraft, but don't most aircraft have some sort of gear warning system based on flap configuration and airspeed. I know that on the Dash-8 and 146, its a VERY annoying horn that goes off when A/C is in a landing config, with gear still in the well. Just a thought :cool:

m&v
17th Dec 2002, 21:45
A lot of the systems utilize the Throttle/power lever positioning to 'activate' the Warning horn in the 'gear up'case.With strong winds one might not reduce the thottles/plvrs soon enough to
get the warning prior to touchdown!!!!! :rolleyes:

sandy helmet
18th Dec 2002, 18:16
Just remember, there are two types of pilots - those who have had gear ups, and those who will................

Actually, there's another two kinds - Helicopter pilots, and those who wish they were........:p :D :D :D