PDA

View Full Version : spinner colouring?

Lump Jockey
15th Nov 2002, 16:04
Hope I've named them correctly, and if not my apologies, but why are the "spinners" (dome shaped fan centres in the engine) painted with a black and white spiral? Heard it was to scare birds as the spiral once spinning looks like a bird of prey's eye????
Thanks!

saudipc-9
15th Nov 2002, 16:44
Not sure about the spinner doing that as much as it is for people on the groung to see that it is turning ie catch their eye.
I used to fly Twin Otters and we painted the props black and white. One would start white/black/white etc and others we would paint Black/white/black. When the props were turning it would have a pulsating effect. It was supposed to scare birds but as I said, it was also very good on the ground. I was always surprized when the USN didn't pick it up for their aircraft on board carriers.

chiglet
15th Nov 2002, 19:18
"Some" Turbo-Props have "White Dashes" painted up the prop blades.
Also RAF Rescue Helicopters have one Rotor Blade painted Yellow. [T'others are Black]
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Smokie
15th Nov 2002, 19:27
I remember many moons ago when a herc visited our base during a taceval, someone asked the Flight Eng why the tips of the props on his "chocolate lorry" were painted yellow ?

The Flight Eng replied "To stop the Black from sliding off sonny."
:D :D :D