PDA

View Full Version : 747 Service ceiling, multiple engines out

slim_slag
14th Nov 2002, 17:20
The other day, I was telling a nervous flying friend that he was safer crossing the Atlantic on an ETOPS plane than a MD-11 or a 747. Part of my argument was if you lost two engines on a 777 you were going down, but if you lost two engines on an MD-11 or 747 you were going down too.

Problem is, I cannot now find any proof on the Internet that my confident bollocking on was correct.

So can the experts tell us what is the service ceiling of these transatlantic two/three/four engine transport jets with one/two/three engines out?

(I still think you are safer on ETOPS, but for other reasons, like hold fire fighting ability - but could be taking bollox there too :D )

lomapaseo
15th Nov 2002, 02:31
Well UA811 (cargo door) with a pretty good load was going down, only they happened to intersect HNL. Depends on gross weight, so perhaps the comparison might better be made at max diversion points about midway in fuel burn.

I know that I've stated this before, but the odds of losing two or more on a B747 are about 3.6 times greater than losing two on a twin ETOPS. However, as the thread questions, the real issue is whether you have options after you lose the second one.

JJflyer
15th Nov 2002, 09:50
B747 flies just fine with 2 engines... Weight, temperature, altitude and speed affect your driftdown amongst other considerations like traffic, tracks and your position.

Losing 2 engines out of 4 is not the same as losing 2 out of 2... As to options, you got plenty of options.