PDA

View Full Version : Twin Otter training

canileb
13th Nov 2002, 13:24
Hi,

I am considering doing a twin otter type rating early next year. Would anyone have a list of the schools that offer that training in Canada (along with cost if available)? The only name I've got so far is FlightSafety Toronto but they are very slow answering their mail!!

Thanks a lot!

saudipc-9
13th Nov 2002, 14:51
canileb,
I'm not up on this, but You might try to give Ken Borak (I think that's the right spelling) a call in Calgary. He has a large fleet of Twin Otter's and might be able to give you what you want. Do a search for "Borak" I'm sure you will come up with a e-mail, address or telephone number.

JoeCo
13th Nov 2002, 18:41
It's actually Kenn Borek and this is their address.

http://www.borekair.com

No idea if they could actually do the training, but they might be able to point you in the right direction. Keep in mind that most pilots come to the company with time on type and that the policy is to hire people with time on type, so doing an initial, this might not be the place. But worth a shot.

Joe

canileb
15th Nov 2002, 15:55
Thanks a lot! I'll email them right away...

Cheers,

JoeCo
16th Nov 2002, 05:56
Well I hope that you can get some information from these guys. I'd be interested to know what they say. If you could either post or send me a PM I'd appreciate it.

Joe

canileb
16th Nov 2002, 11:23
No problem, here is what I got so far:

-Borek Air replied right away to my email to say that they only provided training to their own pilots and that they "had no idea where I would do my training."

-a friend of mine called FlightSafety and the very nice mnager there gave him a quote of $7400USD for the 9-day programme, which includes ground and sim training but no flying...

Not very encouraging but I'll keep looking!

Cheers,

Ali

JoeCo
16th Nov 2002, 13:03
Thanks for providing Borek's response. That's what I kind of figured would be the response, however, it never hurts to ask!! Keep searching, I'm sure someone out there has to be able to do some training for you. Good luck.

justcurious
17th Nov 2002, 05:52
Twin Otter training is of benefit only if you have a company in mind that requires training prior to employment. Zimex and a couple of Caribean airlines come to mind. Bear in mind that other than protecting the jobs of locals, the primary reason for this is a lack of training facilities or ability, or even lack of a training mentality. True, a job is a job, but after the shine is off the endorsement...

Had Borek replied favorablyto your request, you would have been looking at: 3-5 days of groundschool, (continuing education generally averages 250USD per day) . Five hours training, at 15oo per hour. No check-ride (not a company employee), and therefore no PPC card. So 8250 no PPC, no job. Borek focuses on their own niche market.

Flight Safety has a great ground school, a very realistic sim, and access to great training aids.

Spend how you wish, but it strikes me as an expensive way to a possible "maybe" job.

canileb
17th Nov 2002, 13:32
Thanks, will take your input into account...

Cheers!