PDA

View Full Version : Another accident in Bishkek

Yak97
13th Nov 2002, 08:19
Rumour is of a incident involveing a Tu154 on take-off from Bishkek.

Operator Kyrghyzstan Airlines and aircraft was on flight to Urumch in China, with 90 passengers on board. Aircraft apparently overran runway on take-off.

2nd incident within a short period at Bishkek, both involving excursions of the runeway (4000m!)

newswatcher
13th Nov 2002, 09:04
Always need to be careful with those "runes"?!

Localiser Green
14th Nov 2002, 08:14
How does one over-run a 4,200m runway (13,780ft if I'm not mistaken)? :eek:

UAFM is only 2,090ft AMSL, nothing too serious performance-wise is it?

Places like Tehran (OIII) have a slightly shorter runway and are 4,000ft AMSL! Addis Ababa is 7,625ft AMSL with a 12,500ft runway!!

What a/c was involved in the first over-run, and was that t/o also or landing?

Konkordski
14th Nov 2002, 08:37
I understand that this second over-run occurred when the Tu-154 returned to the aircraft after a failure of one of its primary flight instruments (possibly the artificial horizon) about 30min into the flight to Urumqi.

When the aircraft touched down it rolled "slightly" off the runway. Investigation is under way.

I spoke to a member of the Russian air accident commission regarding the first over-run (Tretyakovo Il-62, wound up hitting the airport perimeter fence while landing and was subsequently burned out). He indicated that the aircraft was trying to abort the landing but ran out of room. Wasn't very complimentary about the pilot either.