PDA

View Full Version : Help revalidating my PPL

I have control
12th Nov 2002, 23:06
I live in the USA and have a CAA PPL issued in March 2000 that is not current - it ran out in March 2002, because I did not get the required 2-yearly sign-off.

I have, however, been flying on a regular basis on an FAA licence, mainly in an Archer and 172 - approx 60 hours per year the last 2 years.

I am back in the UK for Christmas, and would like to re-validate my CAA licence. Can anyone advise me what I need to do - and how much flying time you think it should take?

(I do have a current CAA medical.)

The man formerly known as
12th Nov 2002, 23:38
I have control,

You are in luck, your revalidation should be a simple task allowing for the weather in the U of K.

If you have missed your 2 year signoff then you need to do an LPC with a PPL examiner. It should take 1-2 hours and if you are current it should not tax you unduly. The test should be enough.

Indeed I believe you can wait 5 years since your SEP rating expires and still do the same thing without having to sit any more exams, ground or otherwise.

The point to note is it must be with an examiner not an instructor. The instructor can only revalidate an unexpired SEP rating. It needs an examiner to revalidate an expired rating.

Good luck

BEagle
13th Nov 2002, 04:14
Mostly correct.

Just fly a LPC SPA with a UK/FE(PPL); as soon as you have completed the flight satisfactorily he/she can renew your Single Engine Piston Class Rating and you send a form off to the CAA for their info. As soon as the UK/FE(PPL) has signed the Certificate of Revalidation in your licence, you may fly with JAR/FCL PPL privileges.

Normally you would fly a 1 hr dual training flight as part of the 'revalidation by experience' requirements in the second 2 year period to revalidate your SEP Class Rating; however, an FI cannot 'revalidate the Rating', i.e. sign the Certificate of Revalidation in you licence - that must be done by an Examiner.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
13th Nov 2002, 05:40
Along a similar line - are there any true advantages of "upgrading" my CAA PPL(A) to a JAA FCL? Reading the GIDs, it seems that, as long as I continue to fly in a G registered aircraft there is nothing to gain.

distaff_beancounter
13th Nov 2002, 08:00
are there any true advantages to "upgrading" my CAA PPL (A) to a JAA FCL PPL? Of course there are ...... it entitles you to pay the CAA a renewal fee every 5 years! :D :D

I'am still hanging on to my dear old CAA PPL :)

I have control
13th Nov 2002, 15:55
Thanks for the advice... AT LAST - something connected with aviation licencing that is simpler than I thought!