PDA

View Full Version : 767-300er Tailskid

Sonia767
11th Nov 2002, 18:13
Hi to all of you out there,

My first post here and its for the 763ER Drivers.

Wanted to find out if you hit the tailskid would you get a warning on the eicas or the warning light.

All i can find is that the warning and eicas mess would come up if there was a disagreement between the landing gear lever positon and the tailskid.Nothing about a strike warning.......:rolleyes:

Maybe someone can shed some light here.Thank you.

Sonia

mono
11th Nov 2002, 18:44
S767,

Tail skid warning is only a positional warning to indicate if it is out of sync with the gear lever.

If you over rotate and hit the skid you get no warning, and probably won't know until you do the walkround at your destination. Where you will notice the red paint on the skid will be scratched and, if you really over did it, a 'pop out' indication on the skid itself to indicate excessive impact.

Either case would require a call to the engineers to assess the damage.

Cheers.

McD
11th Nov 2002, 19:52
Hi Sonia, and welcome to PPRuNe -

No EICAS warning on the 767-300 ER. As mono says, you might have a tailstrike and never even know it. The person who does the next walk-around inspection may be the one who finds your tailstrike.

However, if you strike the tail with enough force, you might very well get a Tail Skid warning, due to the new (incorrect) position disagreeing with the correct position.

Here's an example of that: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/reports/air/1996/a96a0035/a96a0035.asp (scroll down to section 1.3)

Of course, if the force is that strong, you probably won't need a Tail Skid light to tell you a tail strike occurred! :eek:

twistedenginestarter
12th Nov 2002, 17:01
The 767-400 doesn't have one either. This is because the tail clearance is the same. It is longer but has a taller main undercarriage.

By contrast the 757-300 does have a warning light.

Sonia767
13th Nov 2002, 10:32
Hello you guys,

Thanks for your replys.Have a question for mono though.Where is the "pop out indicator" on the skid ?

Take care

Sonia:)

mono
13th Nov 2002, 16:42
S767,

If you look at the skid (ALF) at the bottom of the actuator, above the scuff pad and slightly to one side you will see a small cylindrical object sticking out about 1.5 cm long and a cm in diameter. (It is just to the right of a charging valve which has a cap on it rather like those on the wheels)

If the tail is struck this may allow the charging pressure in the strut to escape. The low pressure causes a red pin to extend from the cylinder showing servicing is required. (The pin will also extend if the pressure drops below the nominal precharge pressure of 250 - 300 psi due to a leak for example (actual figure for indication is 174 - 232 psi)

A more serious strike will cause a shear pin to break protecting the fuselage from possible damage.

Hope this helps

Cheers.

Carbon Life Form
14th Nov 2002, 04:28
Tail clearance on the -400 is not the same as the -300 despite
the taller gear.

Tail skid contact will occur at 9.4 degrees, somewhat less than
the -300.

Sonia767
16th Nov 2002, 12:42
Thanks Mono for your feedback.Now i can go and fight my case with some of the chappies i fly with.Keep well.

Sonia;)

RAT 5
16th Nov 2002, 16:54
If it's only a gentle scrape all the above indications are true. If it's like one I heard of on a B727, the C/A's in the rear galley will be on the phone damned pronto.
Hopefully ATC will see something, Sparks as in bottoming out in an F1 car, and then you'll get a bill for runway repairs.

Just make real sure the trim, is not too much nose up. having said that, I've heard of more scrapes on landing, floating, than takeoff.

Good Luck, but make sure you have CDW at all times.

snooky
17th Nov 2002, 16:55
BA 767s automatically print out the take off or landing if the tail shows to have been nearer than 2 ft.
This means that the crew can consider the possibility of a tail strike.

scanscanscan
18th Nov 2002, 19:48
Snooky... Is that 2 feet correct or should it be 2 inches?

snooky
19th Nov 2002, 12:24
It is 2 ft. because the system for monitoring is only that accurate, since the actual clearance depends on such things as oleo extension and the moment that the system carries out its scan, and the clearance is calculated from pitch angle.
A 2 foot clearance could therefore be anything from a scrape to 4 ft clearance.