PDA

View Full Version : pax announcements

ptarmigan
11th Nov 2002, 12:02
An observation and a question - not a gripe. Two weeks ago, in a BA744, LHR to JFK, the head concho broke into the film to say seatbelt signs were going on as a/c ahead had advised turbulence - everyone told politely to get seated and belt up. The bumpy bit duly arrived, and after a couple of minutes the Captain came back on to say, extremely bluntly, that he had been told some pax were still wandering about and that (and I quote) 'I didn't put the seat belt sign on to give me something to do. This is a routine safety issue so please get back in your seats.' All around me agreed that he was totally in order. A few days ago, on a UK domestic in the cruise, we hit a horrid patch of turbulence that lasted a good 6 or 7 minutes. Throughout, not a peep from up front, which left the two old dears sat next to me in sheer panic. They were genuinely terrified, and then angry and upset when we arrived in clearer air to at last hear a voice from up front announce 'Sorry about that, folks, but we had a bit of jetstream cross our path and that's what caused the discomfort.' Stable door and horses spring to mind, so the question is: 'What's the policy on telling the back seat passengers what's going on when the ride gets to the point where those of us who don't fly for a living think the wings are going to fall off?'

low n' slow
11th Nov 2002, 13:51
I don't know about policy but I completely agree that as a captain, you should somehow inform the pax -directly or via the CA- of whats going on when things aren't as they should be. But then ofcourse, only if capacity permits... making minute long anouncements just prior to taxi or during the descent seems daft, but it happens frequently.

Otherwise my oppinion is: say something when things aren't as they should be but otherwise, keep quiet except for the very short announcement when established on cruise and things cool down a bit.

regards/lns

OzExpat
12th Nov 2002, 07:32
As one who has been caught by unexpected turbulence in cruise and rolled almost 90 degrees in the process, I can assure you that it gets real hectic just trying to hang onto the aeroplane. The activity in the sharp end is so intense that there really isn't time to say anything to the pax.

I suspect that, in the case you mention, ptarmigan, the Captain undoubtedly gave his apologies just as soon as he could. The whole episode would probably only have lasted a few seconds, though it undoubtedly would've seemed longer. I think you've gotta put that one down to being "just one of the things that happenfrom time to time".

Bear in mind, too, that most airlines include advice in the initial PA from the sharp-end about wearing seatbelts at all times when seated, in the event of unexpected turbulence... or words to that effect.

Celtic Frog
12th Nov 2002, 19:32
OzExpat is spot on with his comments here.
Any decent pilot will try to warn passengers before hitting turbulence, and of course, there are insurance implications here, but clear air and un-forecast turbulence can hit at any time, and there's no way of knowing how rough or how prolonged it 's going to be, hence the message at the beginning of flights to advise passengers to remain seated at all times with seatbelt fastened.
Ideally, the seatbelt sign should be switched on at all times, but passengers (especially on long flights) have to be allowed to move around, for using the toilets etc.
I too have found myself in sudden unexpected turbulence and had my hands full, preventing me from making an announcement to passengers.