View Full Version : Flying to France

andrewc
10th Nov 2002, 22:57
Having just received my shiny new FAA Temporary
Airman's Certificate, my mind is turning to a trip
to France in my N-reg a/c.

Can anyone point to a site that informs you about
the documentation requirements for such a trip,
in particular on VAT payment for the aircraft.

I've done some trawling in the PPrune annals
and on Google to no avail.

Any suggestions gratefully received,

-- Andrew

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Nov 2002, 06:33
Hi Andrew

You would be well adviced to be able to show a receipt which states unequivocally that VAT has been paid at some point.

If you dont have one get one.

If all fails contact the Customs and Excise people for advice and IIRC they can furnish you with some statement as well.

FD

Aussie Andy
11th Nov 2002, 11:30
Checkout Irv Lee's website http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/ - there's some info there, plus he sells a checklist which I think covers a lot of this and and I'd recommend you think about one of his "PPL Masterclass" seminars: well worth it IMHO.

2Donkeys
11th Nov 2002, 15:06
Good advice from Flying Dutch. You should ensure that you get a certificate of free circulation from Customs and Excise, and carry a copy of the VAT invoice that relates to the purchase of your aircraft. Whilst this particular risk is somewhat overplayed in the press, it is an occasional requirement to be able to show this to French customs.

In addition, the documents that you ought to have with you are:

1) Your passport
2) Your airman's certificate
3) Your aircraft's cert of registration
4) Your certicate of airworthiness (should be affixed to your aircraft anyway)
5) Your radio licence
6) Your insurance certificate
7) Relevant maintenance release. (Most recent Annual/100 hours for example)

Hope this helps

bluskis
11th Nov 2002, 16:36
Just in case your FAA licence does not include your medical certificate, remember to take that as well.

Mine was examined in great detail last year when I was inadvertently locked passenger side and wanted to regain airside in France.