PDA

View Full Version : Guy pushing back?

Lump Jockey
10th Nov 2002, 16:49
Hi there, new to this forum and this will be my first question! What's the guy who walks the aircraft out on pushback professionally called, and what is it he communicates to the pilots? Sorry if it's really simple to most of you, but this has always bothered me!!:(

Techman
10th Nov 2002, 16:56
Well, since you state your profession as a pilot, riding around in a 777 you really should know, shouldn't you?.:confused:

Lump Jockey
10th Nov 2002, 17:04
Damn, busted!! ok ok! So I fly Concorde, but don't tell anyone!!!

HZ123
11th Nov 2002, 06:58
This is the head set person who may be an engineer but in the main will be a aircraft services person. They are responsible for communication between the ground and crew once the a/c is all closed up. They will direct the tug driver as to when to push the a/c and in what direction they wish it to be. It includes directing application of setting the brakes to park and realising them. The headset person will also monitor all that is going on around the a/c prior to pushback andis the eyes and ears during the operation. At conclusion ofthe operation you may see this person raise his arms holding the nose wheel lock out pin. This is a summary of their function.

Avman
11th Nov 2002, 09:42
Wrong Techman ! Pilots generally know a hell of a lot about flying but b_gger all about anything else ;)

Dutchman
11th Nov 2002, 10:07
HZ123 you described my old job at schiphol perfectly. Sometimes we were also referred to as Pushback/Towing assistant.
We also did some extra things like; remove GPU, close cargo door (e.g. on 747 combi), remove stairs/bridges/gates, final walk around (as frequently baggage of no shows had to be removed at last minute or final/extra maintenance performed). Also depending on type extra check of problem items (e.g. DC- 10 cargo door locks).
The best perk of the job though was when repositioning aircraft (e.g. to other gate/buffer or to hangar) we got to ride up in the cockpit, monitoring taxi and RT. Had to start up APU and keep aircraft under hydraulic pressure (emergency braking) and electrical current (RT, lights)

Lump Jockey
11th Nov 2002, 17:11
thanks guys, i think that about answers my question! thanks for replying!

low n' slow
12th Nov 2002, 14:01
Some airlines are so short of dough now that the tech-man should be available for loading baggage aswell as maintaining the a/c and doing walkarounds/preflights...

/lns