PDA

View Full Version : any tips on my sim ride?

dynamite dean
10th Nov 2002, 15:05
I have been called forward for a my first ever sim ride and a final (second interview) interview with my dream airline.

After I am sure this may have been commented upon.
I am a thousand houred instructor and will be doing a sim ride in a large plane ! The intinery is to do an ils a steep turn etc...
but I am used to cherokee 180's not large commercial airliners!!

Judging the competition I am up against, I will be small fry and fried!!!! other candidates vary from yours truly to turbine rated charter pilots!!!!

help any words of wisdom out there would be very much welcomed.

cheers
:D

Crossunder
10th Nov 2002, 15:36
You are not expected to fly the 747, or whatever, flawlessly the first time around. What they're lookin' for is:

- Deviations are corrected in a timely manner
- You show a certain degree of progression
- You make the right priorities
- You make good use of your sim partner (even if you are able to
fly it all by yourself)
- You have a minimum of knowledge about IFR flying / procedures
- You know all the checklists (probably sent to you by mail, right?)

Good luck!

Oh, one last thing: being an IP, you're used to detect and pick on other peoples' mistakes, take it easy on the guy/gal next to you when you're PNF / NFP (pilot not flying / non-flying pilot). You're a safety-pilot and must help him/her; not evaluate and grade him/her!

Jemy
10th Nov 2002, 20:39
I was given a sim ride for my first fixed wing job after 7 years flying helicopters and light aircraft. I had a heli IR but that was of little use on the sim ride. I could have done much better if I had read and understood fully the sim brief I was sent. In particular power settings and pitch attitude. The sim is a mathematical model, so seat of the pants stuff doesn't really apply. Fly the numbers you will be fine. Communication with your partner is also important. Use the auto pilot if you are able and try to relax.

All easily said! Flying heavy jets for 2 years now and still learning!

All the best!

Cheers

Jemy

Flap 5
11th Nov 2002, 05:33
Two main things:

1. Listen carefully to what they want you to do

2. Enjoy it! I have seen too many pilots get up tight and flunk it.

Don't expect just because you have less hours and/ or large aircraft experience that you will be the worst. It is often not the case.

mustafagander
11th Nov 2002, 08:56
From what I hear, what the recruiters are looking for is a sound working knowledge of the IFR rules and an ability to learn.

Hence,
KNOW your AIP.
KNOW the brief you have been sent.
Listen VERY carefully to any briefing just prior to your ride.
Do not expect too much seat of the pants input.
If you make a boo-boo recover, keep on flying and do not get hung up on it.
You are not being assessed for your type rating, rather you need to show an upward learning curve.
Try, if at all possible, to have a little time to sit in the cockpit of the type in question to help minimise the "gee whiz" factor.
A little time with a sim training organisation may be a good investment to bring your scan up to speed.
KEEP TRIMMING - sims are notoriously unstable, so make a point of opening your hand frequently to see how the trim is. This also helps avoid "gorilla fist" which destroys your fine motor skills.

Good luck!! :)

Dan Winterland
11th Nov 2002, 22:12
Different airlines like to see different things. But generally:

1. They aren't looking for you to be an ace. A basic but good level of handling is what they want. Remember, all aircraft fly according to the same principles whether a PA28 or 747.

2. They are also looking to see if you are aware of where you are. This may be the first high performance aircraft (sim) you have handled. Stay aware and don't try to join the localiser at 250kts!

3. Apply good CRM with your fellow victim or sim instructor. An emergency is likely to see how you interact with the other guy. My last sim ride (in an unfamiliar type) had an engine fire. you won't know the drills - just ask him to action, you monitor his selections. A nasty trick could be for the instructor to put his hand on the wrong fire handle. My last airline - when assessing ex fast jet pilots - fails the main AI. The answer to this is to hand over control to the other pilot. It's amazing how many don't!

4. Don't screw up!

Good luck,

DW :)

ronnie123
12th Nov 2002, 06:46
Hey Dean,

I asume this sim check is for Cathay SO.
Im quite in the same shoes as you are, with the same knid of fears. Well some of the pilots told me to practice on PC flt sims like MS 2002, seems to help a bit if not much.
All the best for the future.:)

KoruLounge
12th Nov 2002, 07:18
Practising on Microsoft flight sim is a good idea:

It will help you learn where things are on the EFIS display (assuming B747-400 sim or Airbus sim);

Learn how to effectively scan the EFIS primary flight display and Nav display;

Practise the profile so that it becomes second nature (It tends to get quite busy in the sim).

Here's a few more tips if they haven't been posted already:

Don't get 'behind' the eight ball............ stay ahead of the aircraft (it's like a PA28 on steriods);

Keep calm and cool (easier said then done, you want to be seen in your best light cause the airlines want the best, if you have spent time preparing then this shouldn't be a problem);

They would have given you a profile so learn the speeds, drill sequence and nose attitudes for the various stages of flight (Get the attitude right and you won't have problems);

SCAN SCAN SCAN SCAN.

Practice and preparation makes perfect............ Good Luck!!!

Celtic Frog
12th Nov 2002, 19:18
I think I agree with everything I read here but I'll emphasise what Flap 5 said...don't get uptight (difficult under the circumstances)
Try to relax and make fairly slow and slight control imputs.
I think you'll find that whoever's looking at you will be looking more closely at your character (easy going, good CRM, sensible etc) rather than worry about a few handling mistakes on an aircraft you've never flown. If you approach the handling with a common sense approach ie slow deliberate movements...you'll probably be forgiven for any minor errors you make.

Some simulators are bastards to fly by comparison to the real thing, so don't get too upset if you feel your control movements appearing to result in slight "jerkiness".
This often makes life difficult during the 500 feet on an ILS.
If you fly a reasonably good approach to about 200-300 feet above decision height, and things are starting to go a bit wrong for you at that stage, just make ONE last correction and then hold your heading.
If it really goes wrong for you at that stage, don't try to be clever by pressing on. Show them you're sensible and go-around.
They'll want to see a sensible character who they can train to fly their aeroplane. They don't want a whizz kid with no common sense.
Good Luck..and ENJOY it !