PDA

View Full Version : Stabilised approach consept?

Crossunder
9th Nov 2002, 10:09
Hi!

Does your company have a "stabilised approach consept"? What are the criteria? Does it work?

TR4A
9th Nov 2002, 17:37
"stabilized approach concept"

We have to be fully configured by 1000 feet AFE. On IMC approaches on glide path on speed with power set to maintain airspeed. VMC approaches 500 feet AFE on speed on glide path with power to maintain airspeed.

flufdriver
9th Nov 2002, 21:23
I doubt that you will find any responsible operator of a public transport operation that does not endorse/promote/enforce a stabilised approach procedure. It is the only way that one can definetely determine when something is going wrong with an approach, such as a windshear encounter etc. as opposed to a small transient anomaly such as a benign wind change or vertical currents.

A stabilised approach can have many forms depending on the equipment you are operating, I remember two type of jet engines that spooled up completely different, the Spey on the BAC 1-11 responded almost instanteneous to throttle movements, whereas you could never say the same about the the engines on the B-727's.

The general idea is that the aircraft is configured for landing on speed and glide path and the checks have been completed at a certain point, to free up the pilots capacity to monitor and react as required. the general rules is that if the established criteria is not being met, you're supposed to execute a go-around and then think of something intelligent to say when you are facing your chief pilot.

At least that is what they told me ( a long time ago)