PDA

View Full Version : Antnonv AN2

Grob Driver
8th Nov 2002, 22:43
Has anyone out there had the pleasure of flying an Antnonv AN2?

I’ve been trying to find some info about this bird but it seems to be a little thin on the ground… Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong places. Anyway, what’s it like to fly? Also very curious to know the running costs of such a machine.

Thanks

Grob Driver

a pilot
9th Nov 2002, 03:59
ASK WWW.FLIGHTINFO.COM ,SOME OF THEM SEEM TO FLY THEM.

knobbygb
9th Nov 2002, 09:39
sunnysideup has a beautiful AN2 - see this previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67531)

bottieburp
9th Nov 2002, 17:12
You can find these in Eastern Europe by the hundred for tuppence ha'penny.

Ask youself why you don't see many of them in the UK?

THey are enormous - a mini airliner really - and with a 1000hp gas guzzling radial.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have a go but...that's it.

A fascinating machine, great fun.......

As long as somebody else is paying!

BB

DB6
9th Nov 2002, 22:05
I had the pleasure some time ago in Bulgaria. Quite docile handling, if heavy on the controls, with a ridiculously low stall speed and LOADS of switches and buttons. You sit quite high (obviously) compared to your normal PPL chariot and in Bulgaria anyway they were 2-crew aircraft, although that wasn't actually necessary. Electric trim in all 3 axes helped a lot as I remember. Cost was $120 per hour but that was 6 years ago. First aircraft I was able to stand up in for takeoff and landing (not when I was flying it mind you) :eek: .

LowNSlow
10th Nov 2002, 05:41
I'd love to have one as a pet but the fuel tank capacity of 1,200 litres and oil tank of 85 (I think) litres to feed a 1,000hp radial gives you a clue to the operational costs!!!!! No problem in the former USSR where fuel is cheaper than beer but not so good in Western Europe..........

I've got a couple of An2 propellor blades blagged from the local airport. Great wall/garden decorations, they weigh about 80lbs each (well it felt like it when I had to carry them to the car) and measure about 1.75m x .15m :eek:

QDMQDMQDM
10th Nov 2002, 07:10
Some fun, but very expensive, aircraft -- DC3, AN2 etc. -- have been mooted on this forum.

It is, therefore, beholden on any regular contributor to this forum that, if they win the lottery rollover, they will buy and operate at least one and, preferably, two or more of the most expensive, outrageous, but fun aircraft for the benefit of other members of the forum.

No shirking. This is a moral duty.

QDM

Whirlybird
10th Nov 2002, 10:15
QDM,

If you can arrange the lottery win for me, I'll buy the AN2. No problem at all, I promise. ;) :D

I'd hoped to fly one in Russia in September, but the one based at Stupino Airfield was off on mainenance. :( If I manage to get back there next year, I'd have a go with any luck. It's $220/hr if I'm remembering right (about £145), and Stupino only charges airborne time so every hour works out to about an hour and ten minutes.

Has that persuaded anyone else to come to Russia with me next year? ;)

Grob Driver
12th Nov 2002, 15:09
So, where’s the best place to go then if I want a flight in one of these birds? I assume that they must be available for rent in some of the eastern block countries? Anyone got any ideas where?

Cheers

Grob Driver

DOC.400
12th Nov 2002, 16:09
There's a couple languishing on the grass at White Waltham -haven't seen them fly for a while though!

Grob Driver
12th Nov 2002, 16:32
I guess they've been grounded if they are on the Russian or Lithuanian register... A bit like the one sat at Sturgate.... Shame... lovely machine. Well, looks like I'm going to have to head east in the New Year for a chance to fly one... Just need to know where to go! Any ideas would be grateful!

sunnysideup
15th Nov 2002, 13:01
Our An2 is a German reg public cat example therefore still flying.

Fuel only cost is around £200 per hour (200l of AvGas), although maintenance costs suprisingly little as the Russians designed them to last. Parts are relatively cheap if you pay in US$ and Vodka.

I am always happy to go flying wih anyone who wants to log some P1S time on a cost sharing basis. Most share it with a couple of others and the cost comes right down for each of us.

Oh, and I'm always looking for a good excuse to fly it!

poetpilot
15th Nov 2002, 13:11
I got 40 mins P1 time logged in one of the WW AN2s, when James Black (Avia Special) used to take them around the UK for PPL hire. Great fun to say to 10 of my mates "wanna come fly with me?" then pile all of them in one aeroplane.

Hardly felt like it was moving when it took off. Just hold everything steady and off she went. The roundout was interesting though, being so high up.

Great experience :D

Grob Driver
15th Nov 2002, 15:58
Sunnysideup,

Are you serious about the offer of getting some time in your AN2? If so, I’d live to take you up on the offer…. Will save me a trip to Russia too!

I’m off to California on 26th of this month to do a bit of flying, but if you’re serious, maybe some time in the New Year, we could arrange it. I’d love to spend some time in one. There’s one at my local flying club based at Sturgate (Nr Scampton / Lincoln) but it’s on the Lithuanian register, and to be honest, I think its days are numbered (That’s just what I’ve heard). Just out of interest, why can’t people with Lithuanian and Russian registered AN2’s get them registered in the UK, or another European country like Germany?

Anyway sunnyside, let me know if you’re serious, and we’ll try and arrange something.

Many thanks

Grob Driver

sunnysideup
17th Nov 2002, 10:31
Grob

Always serious about flying Little Annie. It does around 100 hours each year. I fact, I feel a short trip this afternoon coming on.

Feel free to get in touch when you return.

As I understand it, the problenm with re-registering Russian and LY An2's in the Uk is the UK permit only allows maximum two on board. Bit of a waste of time, really, but we're all used to daft rules.

Have fun on your travels!!