PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need help

Azure
8th Nov 2002, 05:06
After almost 8 hours of trying to fix my daughters computer, I give up.....I have no idea where to find the proper driver!

the problem:

PCI Mass Storage Controller
Unknown
This Device Has a Problem: Code=28 (0x1C)
The drivers for this device are not installed correctly. To install the driver
for this device, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

Well, I tried that with every CD that I got with this &*^$@ machine and none seem to have the right driver.

Help!

olderairhead
8th Nov 2002, 05:31
You may find the driver you require is located here (http://usa.asus.com/download/mbdriver/mb-ide.htm#i2)

Azure
8th Nov 2002, 06:30
Thanks for the link, nothing seems to work so far, try again in the morn.

Scallywag
8th Nov 2002, 09:22
Can you give us a bit more info Azure. What type of device is it ? I had a problem with "mass storage" that turned out to be my digital camera. Have you looked in "device manager" to see if any devices have yellow exclamation marks by them as sometimes removing and re-installing will sort it out.

Have you tried "system restore" to a date when it was all working ok. Don't know if that would work if the driver's gone, may be a corrupted registry.

If you can give us more detail then maybe someone with more knowledge than me can help you :)

Azure
9th Nov 2002, 23:13
That's one of my problems, I don't know which device is giving me the headache. If I knew that I would stand a better chance of finding the driver. I tried to delete it, when I restart windows detects it, loads it, and I stuck with the same problem. Otherwise the computer seems to run fine, but I like a clean start.

Sometime ago, someone posted a link to a "filefix" type of program that could be downloaded. I lost the bookmark, anyone know where I could find it? "win98 se."

Mac the Knife
10th Nov 2002, 06:37
Goto Start/Run - type MSINFO32 <ENTER>
Expand "Components" and click on "Problem Devices"
Tell us exactly what it says and maybe we can make a start!

Squiddley
13th Nov 2002, 03:29
What hardware do you have, i.e. motherboard and such, and have you updated the BIOS and/or other drivers recently?.

"PCI mass storage controller" sounds like a RAID controller - either onboard or as a PCI card. However, it could be anything - and something unlikely! What chipset and version does the motherboard have? E.g. VIA KT333 / Intel i850

I have recently updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte board, and now an "unknown device" has been detected. Naturally Windows cannot find the driver, and I've tried everything in my arsenal of info filed under "previous-failures,-problems-and-cock-ups" :D