PDA

View Full Version : LVO - Recency / Revalidation

safety_worker
7th Nov 2002, 05:32
Hi All,
On the subject of Low Visibility Operations (LVO), I'd just like to know what airlines around the world do with regards to Recency and Revalidation.
1. How do you comply with the JAR/your regulatory body's annual requirements?
2. Are "practice" LV Approaches a necessity?
3. If your airline recommends "practice" LV Approaches - what is the policy regarding Airfields, Aerodrome Operating Minima, ATC information (protection), Type of Approach (can you practice at an airfield that has only CAT I approaches?) etc?
4. How many "practice" (if actuals not carried out) approaches are required to maintain Recency.

Do we need to "practice" these approaches, or are the 3 simulator approaches carried out during annual/biannual proficiency checks/recurrent training satisfactory?

Just trying to find out what you all do.
Safe Flying!

Bally Heck
12th Nov 2002, 00:36
I'll answer you safety worker. Even if no-one else will.

From a UK airline JAR-OPS manual.

To maintain a Cat II/III qualification, pilots must conduct a minimum of three approaches and landings using Cat II/III procedures during the previous six month period, two of which must be carried out in a suitable simulator and noted in the pilot's licence. The third approach may be carried out in the aircraft or in a simulator.

safety_worker
12th Nov 2002, 13:11
Thanks Bally,
A Gentle-person, indeed!
Has your company chosen practicing autolands on the aircraft? If yes, what are the guidelines? you can email it to me if you wish.
Regards...:)

Bally Heck
12th Nov 2002, 17:59
Safety.

As above, two low vis approaches must be carried out in the simulator every 6 months, leaving one to be done on the line during the interim. This can either be an automatic approach and landing done in anger as it were. Or it can be done in good weather. As each pilot must self certificate this approach, if a real Cat III approach has not been carried out, and it's getting close to sim time, someone is going to have to give away a landing to the aircraft.

And we don't like doing that do we! :(

safety_worker
19th Nov 2002, 04:38
Hi All,
This is the data i've gathered from all 'helpful' people through various methods.

1. Almost ALL regulatory authorities require 3 autolands (some say auto approaches) in 6 months. 2 must (has to) be in the simulator. The 3rd maybe carried out in an aircraft, or in the simulator. (JAR)

2. 2 airlines (out of 11) actually assess their destination airports where pilots may practice these autolands (approaches) and then provide guidance regarding the performance of the ILS and airfield/equipment/etc., (some requiring ATC approval), and also whether they HAVE to disconnect and land at CAT I Decision.

3. The minima required for such a practice is CAT I.

4. NO ONE could say if the manufaturers (Boeing/Airbus) required such an approach to be carried out : to check the aircraft's capability within any period of time (after maintenance, annual, etc).

5. There are a lot of airlines out there, the information got was from pilots of 11 airlines

Now, IMHO, item 2, those airlines are good in providing such guidance, and other airlines who 'require' such 'practice' approaches, SHOULD provide such analytical data (especially, since many of them are practiced WITHOUT LVO protection.

Waiting to hear from manufacturers.

Still don't know what PILOT's feel about the need to practice a LVO approach. One gentleman said, "it's like any other ILS, just different in the last 200ft"

Safe wishes.