PDA

View Full Version : HUD's on Airbuses

shon7
6th Nov 2002, 16:58
Heard a rumor that Airbus plans to fit all their future models with HUD's. Anyone else heard things along the same lines.

Also, do airlines specify that they want HUD's - if so which airlines' fleets have these gizmos- and to what advantage?

chiglet
6th Nov 2002, 17:21
Flew with Finnair on a Fam Flt a couple of years ago. They had HUDs fitted on their MD80 series. Cat11/111 APCs, so I was told.
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

fatboy slim
7th Nov 2002, 09:34
Luxair have HUDs on their EMB 145 fleet. Gives em CAT IIIA i believe.

hptaccv
7th Nov 2002, 10:01
To my understanding, the HUD (for example on CRJs) is more a kind of patchwork to give CAT III capability without autothrottle. Enables the Captain to hand fly dh<75ft
Already with complete autoland capability it wouldn't really give any advantage to airbus/boeing would it?

Squawk7777
9th Nov 2002, 02:37
Brings up an interesting subject.

Gulfstream received FAA certification on their Kollsman EVS (Enhanced Vision System). It really looks amazing, but I haven't found any source that states what CAT III approach pilots are enabled to use. Theoretically CAT IIIc should be available since they can to taxi to/from the apron in 0/0.

Bombardier has also been working on their BVS. Haven't read any in-depth article about it yet...