PDA

View Full Version : Tail-wheel landings - excellent AvWeb article

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2002, 09:05
AvWeb articles seem to have been of varying quality lately. But this Monday's edition contains an article (http://www.avweb.com/articles/lounge/tpl0054.html) which, IMHO, is absolutely superb, and a must-read for any tail-dragger pilot.

The choice of 3-pointers or wheel-landings is one of those topics for which there is no right or wrong answer. I think Rick Durden has got it pretty much spot on, though, highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of both methods of landing, and pointing out that there are some type-specific differences too.

The only thing which I would add to his article is the need to learn both methods. If you accept tail-dragger training which does not cover wheel-landings you are selling yourself short - I have personally flown in conditions where I've scared myself by trying 3-pointers, but managed good, safe wheel-landings without any problems. The vast majority of landings can be done safely using either method, and it pays to mix them up a bit in order to stay current at both.

Anyone else got any thoughts???

FFF
-------------

foxmoth
5th Nov 2002, 09:20
I have flown many taiwheel aircraft where I have been told "it is a real handful in a x-wind" and found it no problem, personally I always wheel it on if a strong x-wind and find this works very well for me.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Nov 2002, 19:33
I find it strange that the author considers wheelers to be more difficult than 3-pointers. A really good 3-pointer is much more of an art than is a wheeler IMHO.

Also, he objects to the phase 'pinning it on with a touch of forward stick' re wheelers, but doesn't explian why. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Land on the mains in a level attitude, and as soon as they touch, a little forward stick pins them on and unloads the wing.

SSD

Chuck Ellsworth
5th Nov 2002, 20:04
Well having read the article my only comment is he used a lot of words to say very little.

Maybe rather than quoting what other pilots tell him he could use his own knowledge and experience to explain the different techniques?

Cat Driver:

QNH 1013
5th Nov 2002, 20:12
Most of the article seems good but like SSD I don't understand his objection to trying to "pin the aircraft on the ground with forward stick" on page 6, yet he says on page 2 that the " Oh#$%^ " landing is caused by failing to release the back pressure on the stick when the mains touch. Both "forward stick" and "release back pressure" are the same thing to me and are what reduce the angle of attack, so giving the aircraft sufficient force on the wheels to enable a controlled roll-out in (gusty) crosswinds.
I think the reason many are not taught wheel landings (I wasn't when I did a so-called conversion course) is that the instructor they get can't do wheel landings.

QDMQDMQDM
5th Nov 2002, 20:45
With respect to crosswinds and wheelers vs three pointers, although I often try to do a wing down three pointer, I generally seem to end up doing a tail down wheeler. Generally turns out OK, though. I find it very hard to do a full-on wing down three pointer -- it requires quite extreme control deflections and a certain degree of faith. Anyone else have that experience? Maybe it's just because I'm inexperienced...

QDM

poetpilot
6th Nov 2002, 07:28
I've had varied experiences in tailwheel a/c, but I'd sum it up by saying I've felt comfortable 3-pointing all taildraggers that I've flown, but only felt comfortable wheeling some. I usually reserve wheeling for x-wind days when I want to maintain directional control as much as poss.

A/C I liked wheeling ? Chipmunk, Jodel D112, Jodel Ambassadeur, Stampe.

A/C I didnt like wheeling? Citabria, Luton Minor, Taylor Monoplane.

LowNSlow
6th Nov 2002, 09:15
I did the occasional wheel landing in the Cub but if the wind was really strong it could be landed across the runway.

Wheel landings for fun in an Auster, you must be joking! I've only done it twice. the first time scared me and the second time was at the flyin at Sywell where I had to do it cos I'd have been going backwards in the headwind if I'd tried a 3 pointer.

stiknruda
6th Nov 2002, 10:45
I'm comfortable doing both 3 pointers and wheelers in my Aeronca - though recent practice (currency) with wheelers makes them easier. I tend to wheel her on 5 mph faster than if I 3 point.

I have yet to wheel the Pitts on and occasionally my 3 pointers arrive a tad tail low - rather than bounce the tail into the air, this seems to cause the mains to descend and then the rollout is as normal.

Stik

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Nov 2002, 12:11
Stik - can't say I've ever seen a Pitts do a wheeler landing. But I've got a PFA video which shows one doing a 100 percent wheeler take off.

He lines up, then applies power and raises the tail (presumably against brakes) so he is stationary at high power in a level attitude. Then he rolls, maintaining the tail-high attitude, lifts off, flies level for a bit, then pulls up staright into a loop.

Quite impressive ;~)

SSD

maxalpha
6th Nov 2002, 19:54
There are 2 articles before this one both are very good worth reading and maybe leaving on the flying club table to get more people flying real airplanes :D (only joking), as a newbe to tail-wheels i found the articles intresting and informative.

http://www.avweb.com/articles/lounge/tpl0052.html

Chuck Ellsworth
7th Nov 2002, 00:51
Test

stiknruda
7th Nov 2002, 09:03
SSD

I have seen Sean Tucker wheel land a Pitts at Oshkosh but the runways are very long and he probably touched down in excess of 120mph and left the tail in the air until he was almost slowed, 30mph-ish.

Saw Gary Ferriman do a full power against the brakes take off for a display at Lambley a couple of years ago - very impressive. His "barber-pole" is high on my list of 'want to learn how to do that' maneouvers! IIRC it involves 2 vertical rolls, a flick and then a second flick on the down line.

Stik