PDA

View Full Version : My expiring temporary FAA certificate

drauk
4th Nov 2002, 16:25
I have a "Temporary Airman Certificate" which was issued by the FSDO in Phoenix, USA, at the start of July this year.

At the time it was issued it was still possible to walk in to the FSDO and get one issued on demand, on the basis of my UK JAR-FCL, which is exactly what I did. At the time I was told that the piece of paper I was given was temporary (it says "Pending" in the certificate number box) and that I would receive the full one in the post some weeks later.

I've not received anything from the FAA, despite the address on the certficiate being correct. I've just noticed on the back that it is says it will expire after 120 days which round about now.

Does anybody know (a) how long the certificates used to to take to be issued (when they were still available that way), (b) if the recent change in rules will have effected the issue of my certificate given that the changes were made between the issue of my temporary certificate and (perhaps) when the longer term one was about to be issued.

I can (and will) write to the FSDO about it - am I likely to get a timely response?

carb
4th Nov 2002, 18:05
I also got a temporary one during July, but I received the full one in the post a couple months ago!

You can look yourself up on the FAA's website, airman database, which might help, check if your record is there alright. The site also tells you how to contact them.

drauk
4th Nov 2002, 18:21
I'm not listed, so I guess I should contact them directly.

How long is the proper certificate valid for?

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Nov 2002, 18:26
Hi Drauk

There was an article in Flying abou this particular problem and IIRC the advice was to write to the FSDO PDQ! :rolleyes:

So get on the blower to them and write/email/fax them as ISTR that there was quite a difference between getting this one extended rather than a new one issued.

HTH

FD

englishal
5th Nov 2002, 10:30
Once you get the proper certificate, it is valid indeffinitely, as long as your ICAO PPL is valid and you carry out the BFR's every couple of years.

Rgds
EA:)

Min Sink
5th Nov 2002, 17:07
What about if you want to change it. I got a FAA Glider licence based on my UK PPL (SMLG). That way I didn't have to get an FAA medical when I went over there to finish off my PPL (SEP). Can I walk in and 'upgrade' it to allow me to fly a SEP?

DG