PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Davis' "Handling the ..."

Squawk7777
4th Nov 2002, 04:10
I am pretty sure that this has been asked many times before, but where can I order this book? Amazon shows it as out of print and only available second-hand.

BlueEagle
4th Nov 2002, 08:31
If you go here:

http://www.abebooks.com/

You will find that they are offering the book from as much as US$200 down to US$46.

When you bring up the page type in author: D.P.Davies

and title: Handling The Big Jets.

Saw a place in Woking offering it at about $46.50US.

Squawk7777
4th Nov 2002, 17:15
Thanks for the info BE!

Cheers!

7 7 7 7

Capt BK
4th Nov 2002, 17:41
Transair sell it for £25, i think its recently been re-printed

Notso Fantastic
4th Nov 2002, 20:34
What a book! Get it!

411A
5th Nov 2002, 12:08
The first printing was in 1966, and having read same in 1967, found out first hand a couple of years later that his discription of the flying qualities of some of the earlier jet airliners...were spot on.
I wonder if some of the wizz-bang FMS happy co-pilots of today would have a clue.
Probably not.:rolleyes:

Georgeablelovehowindia
6th Nov 2002, 16:19
A friend of mine got called in to do a C of A test flight on a BOAC VC10, with Davies in the left-hand seat. They went out across the North Sea and Davies proceeded to wring the living daylights out of the aeroplane. (My friend says at one stage the flight engineer was offering incantations to his Mum!) Having satisfied himself that the "Iron Duck" was still safe to carry members of the public, they turned back to LHR. DPD then proceeded to make a complete horlicks of the descent profile, ending up in an untidy approach but a "rescued" landing! Even the Great Man was human, it seems.
Chapter 8: "Flight through severe weather" has stood me in good stead on the one or two occasions when it's been a heart-in-the-mouth job.
"Handling The Big Jets" is in Transair's current catalogue, item 9180E, price £25. (www.transair.co.uk)

SLF
6th Nov 2002, 19:51
Try www.bookfinder.com (http://www.bookfinder.com) anf there are loads available at prices from US$23 upwards!

(Best book site on the web IMHO :cool: )

Squawk7777
7th Nov 2002, 23:51
Thank you all for your replies... now there is no reason anymore to make excuses for not getting this book.

7 7 7 7