PDA

View Full Version : rotation technique

toro01
3rd Nov 2002, 16:48
Do you rotate with both hands in the horns or just with one and the other with the throttle?

looks like a silly question but i have been reading that some airplanes have diffrent techniques. Thanks

Empty Cruise
3rd Nov 2002, 18:17
Both hands on wheel...

...to keep my hand from doing unpleasant things with the throttles after V1 :p

Flat-Spot
3rd Nov 2002, 19:18
Depends...
if single pilot; one hand throttle, one hand on the column.
if two pilot; at V1 remove hand from power lever and put hand on column so both hands are on the column.

F-S

john_tullamarine
4th Nov 2002, 04:44
I think I must have missed something here ..... why does SP/MC alter the philosophy ? I would have thought it better to leave the throttles well alone to reduce the likelihood of ill-thinking and precipitate actions leading to an increasing level of pilot sweat in the event of system hiccups .......

machone
4th Nov 2002, 19:24
Most SP aircraft tend to be piston engines, hence hand on throttle as feather time is important on those aircraft. Most MC aircraft have been airline so an extra pair of hand makes light work of feathering drills

john_tullamarine
4th Nov 2002, 20:55
... embarrassing if, in the rush to feather, the rush is implicated at the enquiry with the pilot's pulling the wrong lever.

While acknowledging the min RPM for feather limit on some installations, one really ought to balance the risks in a more global sense ... ?

Willie Nelson
13th Nov 2002, 10:53
I believe in many of the 20-30 year old piston twins I fly, friction nuts can be notoriously unreliable.

I have to date had two take-offs extended unintentionally, due to faulty friction nuts, it will not happen again, to me anyway.

Power reductions due to a combination of no hand on throttle and faulty or incorrectly adjusted friction nuts are very difficult to determine by ear and often occur at a point after performance figures may have already been checked.

Obviously, if the boss decides to get that new GV I won't be bothered by such third world problems:rolleyes:

Willie

FlapsOne
14th Nov 2002, 17:54
At V1 take your hand off the throttles and hold the control wheel.

It is a reminder to the brain that, if the engine fails, you just fly the aircraft!

Skaz
27th Nov 2002, 07:53
Single engine, keep hand on throttle or power lever, if something goes wrong then you can reign in the donkey in front and not have any further surprises while you concentrate on landing.

Single pilot, ME, have heard different opinions, I think it is still best to keep your hand resting lightly on the throttle levers, like someone said, if engine fails, fly aeroplane, you have ,on pistons, usually 5 min max power before the remaining donkey keels over, so fly plane, Identify, Verify, Confirm, Feather and shutdown dead engine, then look after live one. Dont panic, but dont faff around either.

Multi crew, single or ME, have been doing 2 crew take-offs, in that pilot flying sets initial power, then pilot-not-flying sets max power and monitors engine parameters. This second bloke has hands on power levers and keeps them there until height reached for after take-off chacks and pilot- flying calls his levers.

Like so many SOP's and personal preferences, there are many ways of doing it, but I believe that in the event of an emergency, somebody should have honds on throttles to cut down reaction time.
;)

calypso
28th Nov 2002, 15:15
Different operators may have different SOP's but I imagine that the main factor is the certification type of the A/C. In types that do not guarantee a rate of climb after an engine failure (all singles and many small twins) you keep the hand on the levers as you will be looking to securing the failed engine ASAP. In types that guarantee minimum climb gradients after an engine failure (FAR/JAR25 ?) you move both hands to the control wheel at V1. Here the priority is controling the A/C and climbing away safely. In my company we do nothing until we reach 400' and then the emphasis is on securing the correct engine ie.- don't rush it.

SP and MC I do not feel is as important. If I was flying a Cessna Caravan in a multicrew environment I would keep one hand on the thrust lever, after all you would not even have a v1.

Ignition Override
3rd Dec 2002, 04:03
If one holds the yoke and throttles, not only is there the risk as stated above, but what happens to the airplanes pitch AND power when your seat slides back by accident? You would be out of luck, with the nose high and probably at idle power too.

This 'seat slide' has happened to more than a few pilots.