PDA

View Full Version : Diverse Departures

saudipc-9
2nd Nov 2002, 16:49
Just having a read through my AIM/FAR and came across a few references to Diverse Departures. However, cannot find out what they are. Anyone else know?
Cheers

PaperTiger
2nd Nov 2002, 17:30
diverse vector
An instruction issued by a radar controller to fly a specific course which is not a part of a pre-determined radar pattern. Also referred to as "radar vector".

diverse vector area/DVA
(1) In a radar environment, that area in which a prescribed departure route is not required as the only suitable route to avoid obstacles.
(2) The area in which random radar vectors below the MVA/MIA, established in accordance with the TERPS criteria for diverse departures obstacle and terrain avoidance, may be issued to departing aircraft.

RadarContact
2nd Nov 2002, 18:19
Hmmm... my first thought when reading the title was "Captain turning left and FO turning right"... :eek:

RadarContact
2nd Nov 2002, 19:59
Looking out front? in a turn? Who cares! Flying that special type of "diverse departure" they'll sure have other things to worry about :D

reynoldsno1
3rd Nov 2002, 18:24
In ICAO parlance they are referred to as omnidirectional departures...

saudipc-9
4th Nov 2002, 15:48
Ok let me get this straight.
A diverse departure is one where you could be told to fly any departure route to get you enroute.This is because there are no obstacles or terrain which penetrates the Obstacle Identification Slope and does not require a 200 fpm rate of climb. An example would be taking off where the depature end of the runway is near the ocean.
Thanks for the info

reynoldsno1
4th Nov 2002, 18:26
Exactly. There may be sectors identified which require a higher climb gradient (i.e. above 3.3% which is 200ft per NM - not fpm)

vector4fun
4th Nov 2002, 22:10
Ok let me get this straight.
A diverse departure is one where you could be told to fly any departure route to get you enroute.This is because there are no obstacles or terrain which penetrates the Obstacle Identification Slope and does not require a 200 fpm rate of climb.

Errr, not quite, at least in the U.S. :

AIM

5-2-6. Instrument Departures

b. What criteria is used to provide obstruction clearance during departure?

1. Unless specified otherwise, required obstacle clearance for all published departures, including diverse , is based on the pilot crossing the departure end of the runway at least 35 feet above the departure end of runway elevation, climbing to 400 feet above the departure end of runway elevation before making the initial turn, and maintaining a minimum climb gradient of 200 feet per nautical mile (FPNM) , unless required to level off by a crossing restriction.

saudipc-9
7th Nov 2002, 14:45
Vector4fun,
Thanks, I did finally find what a Diverse Departure is.
You must still meet normal departure climb requirements but you are able to turn in any direction.
In the US it seems that once someone designs a IAP to an airport he /she also assess's the departure. They will publish a procedureif required for either( but not limited to) Obstacles or traffic routing.
As long as the 35' departure end, 400 AAE and 200 fpm limits are met and there are no obstacles/ routing requirements then you can turn in any direction and no procedure will be published.
Seems to me that they should tell you in the FLIP's if the airport meets diverse departure requirements. I have always used DoD FLIP's do Jeppesen FLIP's have that?