PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Caravans in UK airspace

Crosswind Limits
1st Nov 2002, 09:09
Does anyone know what's planned for the C208 Caravan in the UK? I know there are one or two hanging about doing VFR public transport ops during the day. I presume the existing operators are waiting for the CAA to relax the requirements on night IFR ops. Anyone know where the CAA are in their protracted deliberations on this one and is it likely to be certified single crew or multi?

Sorry for the questions, just curious.

Cheers.

Meeb
1st Nov 2002, 16:51
Nationalistic...? Whats that got to do with the price of fish? :rolleyes:

JAR policy is to permit single engine (turbine only) IFR operations for public transport flights from June/July next year. Hopefully generate a whole new sector of the industry. As for crew compliment, no one really knows on that one, but these aircraft are all single crew types, and a type rating is required to operate them, not a class rating. Hopefully will remain single crew - much more fun. ;)

Stan Evil
1st Nov 2002, 17:22
Meeb - not quite right. The C208 Caravan is in a class - Cessna SET. This has the advantages that:

1. You don't need to go to an approved TRTO to learn to fly it. You just need to find an FI or CRI with the Caravan on his licence and then a CRE with Caravan on his licence for the class rating test.

2. The renewal period is 2 years and not one.

The Caravan's just an oversize Cessna 182!

Meeb
1st Nov 2002, 18:23
Yes, I meant that it is not covered by the single engine class rating for aircraft under 5700kg, I am aware of the 'single engine turbine' class. As for the rest of your post, should make these aircraft even more popular, roll on next year.

As an aside, there are many places especially in the West Highlands of Scotland which would benefit from using these aiircraft, only hope some enterprising individual sees the opportunity. :)

kwaiyai
5th Nov 2002, 18:45
I Believe AirMed at Oxford can help with Class Rating on Caravans.