PDA

View Full Version : PPL 2 FIR (Basic)

P T Flea
1st Nov 2002, 01:18
Hi there,

Could anyone please fill me in the requirements to progress from a PPL (with a few added hours) to a Basic Flight Instructors Ratings. I am interested in getting into instructing to build some hours whilst the Commercial recruitment is so poor. I would appreciate any advice or figures.

Thanks in advance

PT
:)

BRL
1st Nov 2002, 01:35
I am going to copy this to the Instructors forum. Keep an eye on it there. :)

tacpot
3rd Nov 2002, 13:10
Parts 1 through 4 of GID 34 explain what is required - seehttp://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid34.pdf

cinman
14th Nov 2002, 07:32
I too am hoping to progress to an FI rating following my PPL(A) pass. I expect to complete my PPL(A) around late Spring/early Summer'03 and thereafter plan to:

a. take ATPL ground exams (all 14 of them)
b. take CPL flight training and pass
c. take FI rating training

I understand this is the only way forwards, as there is no longer anywhere that will teach the ATPL ground subjects at CPL level (as it seems was previously available). Quite a lot of work for an FI rating, and damn expensive in the UK considering an annual return of approx £15k.:confused:

Loony_Pilot
14th Nov 2002, 16:56
Hi,

Sorry to say it... but if you think you will make £15k a year as an FI you're living in dreamland... I wont make anywhere near half that........ you'll be lucky to fly more than 500-600 hours a year.. most places pay around £12 an hour or so... if you're lucky you might get a retainer as well.

I dont have a clue what instructors make at higher level.. eg teaching at CAP509 or Examiners etc etc...

tacpot
16th Nov 2002, 16:20
You can take a subset of the ATPL exams for the CPL, and I'm sure I have seen course for these just these CPL exams advertised recently in Pilot magazine.

However I think that very few people do just the CPL exams as the IR exams are also subset of of the ATPL exams but the CPL and IR exam sets overlap so much that by studying only a few more exams you have passed all the exams for a CPL/IR or Frozen ATPL, so you might as well do all 14 exams.

I would imagine that any hiring school would like to see either an IMC or IR rating before hiring you as a PPL(A) FI(R), if only so you can get the student home if you are caught out by the weather.

Good luck with your aspirations, I'm also set on being Flying Instructor when I have enough experience to be able to teach and fly at the same time! (BTW Respect to Aeros Instructors who can teach while upside down!!!)