PDA

View Full Version : OAK 29 or 27L?

KATLPAX
31st Oct 2002, 19:20
Can someone who regularly flies into Oakland, California explain this. Commercial traffic as long as I have flown in and out as a pax uses 29 (approx 10,000ft) and thought that 27L and R was used for smaller/GA traffic as the runway is smaller (6200FT?). The other day while flying in at early morning from east coast on a 757 we landed on 27L. I recognized the approach as very different from the usual 29 and thought a swim in the bay was in our future (seeing the United hanger and fedex out of the left side for the first time really concerned me at the time) I like routine!. I had never seen anything larger than a Lear on 27L or R. How long does a 75 need to land (good vis, etc)? and how unusual is this and why is 27L not used more often (I don’t think 27L has ILS)? Just curious. Thanks all.

KATLPAX

TR4A
31st Oct 2002, 20:19
The other day while flying in at early morning

How long does a 75 need to land (good vis, etc)? and how unusual is this and why is 27L not used more often (I don’t think 27L has ILS)? Just curious. Thanks all.

Rwy 29 was probably closed for maintenance. They have been upgrading the lights for low vis operations. Rwy 27R has a ILS. Both RWYs are long enough for a 757.

KATLPAX
31st Oct 2002, 21:09
Thanks, another question if you don't mind, how often do you guys not use ILS for an approach? I am not a pilot so I am curious to know if you don't have the indication on the flightdeck of weather you are a dot high or low, how do you maintain glideslope? DME/VOR inner/middle/outer markers/Jeppsen Charts/SOPs? Brief description would be informative.

If we landed on 27L would the PIC have used the 27R ILS as a ref (as runways are parallel) or not use it at all as 27L does not have it in which case, how do you maintain GS? and why not 27R if ILS is avail. Maybe I am assuming ILS is too critical in maintaining GS..? Thanks.

West Coast
1st Nov 2002, 06:38
If the ILS is available, its used. If not, no big deal. Depending on the complexity of the FMS, a visual approach can be entered which will provide an extended centerline and an FMS generated glideslope. If a non precision approach serves the runway to be used, a little math and a derived decision altiude can be figured. This allows a steady descent rate. If a parallel runway with same threshold is served by an ILS, I use that for reference. If a nice day, a PAPI or VASI will work. Finially, after a while you get a good seat of the pants feel for a 3 degree glideslope.

TR4A
1st Nov 2002, 15:22
When landing on the "North Side" 27R has the ILS but is shorter, 5433' vs 6212 on 27L. You can use the ILS for weather then sidestep to 27L if the ceiling was high enough.

At OAK the north side taxiways are set up to taxi north to the general aviation areas. If we land on 27L we have to turn right at the end and go north then east back to the approach end of 27 or we turn around on rwy 27L and back taxi to the approach end and turn right on Taxiway B which will take us south toward the terminals.

Landing on the North side is a pain for us airline guys because it takes longer to get to the gate.

I always fly with ILS set up if it is available. I will fly a visual backed up by the ILS. Most rwys have the VASI or PAPI lights for visual glideslope. I also use the HUD (Heads Up Display) with approaches. The HUD will give you 3 degree glide path.

KATLPAX
1st Nov 2002, 17:45
Thanks all, we did back taxi on 27L, and yes it did take a long while to get to the gates.

Since I have some knowlegeable folks here, one other thing at KOAK, what is that large structure (newly constructed within the last year or so i think) that sits out along the taxiway of 29/11 near the turnoff for the cargo area and gates? Looks like a big "U" shape building, no roof?, protection for an large aircraft (73, 75, 76 etc?) Why there, and for who? Never seen anything there...

TR4A
1st Nov 2002, 22:36
Thats the "Hush House". Used for engine runups for big jets ie 747's. I heard there was a lawsuit from the people who live over at Bay Farm? north of the airport. UAL was probably running engines late at nigh.

KATLPAX
4th Nov 2002, 19:02
Thanks TR4A, much appreciated. KATLPAX