PDA

View Full Version : "New Colours" in callsign??

EyesToTheSkies
31st Oct 2002, 17:11
Listening to EGLL approach this afternoon, one flight called up as "Midland 4 alpha X-ray, new colours".
Could I have misheard, or is this comment to help later on (for TWR for instance) to be able to refer to the midland "in new colours"?

Thanks in advance.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Oct 2002, 18:04
It happens frequently. Useful for Tower controllers but a total waste of RT time for Radar controllers....

karaoke
31st Oct 2002, 18:43
Because we now have three sets of livery on the go, we are frequently asked by, usually GMC, which colours are you?

1. Old dark blue & grey, red plimsoll line.
2. New 'Free Willy' wavy navy, red engines.
3. Alliance white with the 'beer mat stickers' down the side.

All very confusing, but the exchange with Tower is especially helpful for foreign crews when listening out for their conditional clearance before departure.
I can see no use whatsoever informing a radar controller hunkered down in his bunker in the bowels of West Drayton, a total waste of precious airtime.
In my opinion.......allegedly :D

spekesoftly
31st Oct 2002, 19:57
And there's me thinking colour radar displays would be helpful !! :D

1st Nov 2002, 10:51
We've always called the Alliance livery the "washing line colours".

This issue has become a problem at EDI now that Go are repainting all of the aircraft in easyJet colours! Roll on next spring.....

EyesToTheSkies
1st Nov 2002, 11:14

Heard a couple of days ago on EGSS Tower,"After the landing 737 (Go or easyjet), line up 05"

The a/c on finals then assertively announced, " It's GO!"

This raised a chuckle, but it does raise the question of possible confusion leading to something more serious.