PDA

View Full Version : Favourite GA magazine (UK)

Wobbles
31st Oct 2002, 09:01
I think Pilot has gone downhill a bit, but FLYER is improving every month! Look at this month's- that lucky b****** that got to fly the Lightning....

Flap40
31st Oct 2002, 09:10
Popular flying gats my vote. Worth the PFA subscription alone!

Aussie Andy
31st Oct 2002, 10:09
I voted for Flyer as its good - but the poll is misleading as if I could I would vote for more than one as I usually read them all except Today's Pilot.

Grim Reaper 14
31st Oct 2002, 12:21
Got to be Flyer for me, although it's unfortunate that the Editor doesn't know what he's talking about...... (Hi Nick!;) )

Flyed
31st Oct 2002, 13:01
Hi Grim
Knew I could count on your support :p

Splat
31st Oct 2002, 13:12
Like Pilot and Flyer, but Pilot has it.

propjockey
31st Oct 2002, 13:53
surely your favorite magazine is Readers Wives... oh sorry wrong forum :D (or maybe not!)

Flyer for me! great for a newcomer - I like the format and the layout. Did not like Pilot at all - bought one copy and decided that it was not for me.

Simon

Stampe
31st Oct 2002, 16:07
Popular Flying the PFA house magazine is fast becoming the best light aviation magazine in the Uk.of the others i think Pilot remains the best.

SKYYACHT
31st Oct 2002, 17:15
FLYED.....Heres another satisfied customer....I used to regularly read Pilot, but over the years I have moved over to predominantly Flyer, and Todays Pilot. I only read Pilot now if there is an article of particular interest, (which, without being bitchy, is not often!) I also receive AOPA's magazine, which has recently changed format.....(Thanks to some migrations I believe!) Anyhow, keep up the good work!

Ble Skies

QNH 1013
31st Oct 2002, 18:26
I would vote the PFA's Popular Flying as the magazine that has improved the most over the recent past. However, it only covers the VFR part of the GA world which I think is a pity.
Both Flyer and now Pilot help my flying budget with their Free Landing Vouchers which I suggest have a greater benefit that just their face value. By this I mean they encourage me (and presumably others) to visit a higher number of different airfields.
I haven't voted because I think there are too many polls.........

dublinpilot
31st Oct 2002, 20:03
Flyer and close behind Todays Pilot for me. I really don't like Pilot. Bought one or two copies in the past but that was it. I think it concentrated too much on old war birds.

Only complaint about TP would be that even when they are reviewing new airplanes they never quote the price!!! Otherwise very good.

Ace Rimmer
1st Nov 2002, 06:54
Well I read 'em all but if forced to rank them I'd probably put Flyer top. Course, if you widen the remit to include all aviation mags (incl trades) then Rimmer News knocks every mag that ever exsisted off the face off the Earth (except the upcoming Rimmer American News which will be equally good) but I might be biased....(trying to put a X@&**!! smiley thingy here but it dosen't seem to wanna play)

Here you go. Have 3 of them :) :) :)

dannyweaver
1st Nov 2002, 08:07
Definitely FLYER for me- I've been a subscriber for 5 years, even though I'm not a pilot (I'm a student, no money!), and it's helped me understand a lot of aviation concepts that I couldn't before. I found Pilot a bit hard going though...

One thing though; what happened to the 'Pro Pilots' section which lasted a few months, before disappearing with no explanation? :confused:

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2002, 09:20
Could I suggest that to be a fair poll, the three main association magazines should be included. Specifically, "Popular Flying", "Microlight Flying" and "Sailplane and Gliding".

G

stiknruda
1st Nov 2002, 09:39
I've let my Flyer and Pilot subscriptions lapse (sorry Ian and Ian!) as I was just glancing through them and not reading them.

My EAA membership, I also let lapse as the IAC magazine went into a deep spin and never recovered.

That just leaves me with Popular Flying, which recently has gone from strength to strength under the stewardship of Brian Hope. PF arrives and the first thing I do is turn to the back to see what is available and affordable! I then in percentage terms read far more of this magazine than any of the commercially distributed ones.

Never tried Today's Pilot and that has nothing to do with their sponsorship of Denny Dobson :D :D

Stik

In Altissimus
1st Nov 2002, 12:04
If this PFA magazine is so brilliant - it's a shame they don't put a sample edition up on their web-site (I can't see one there anyway). Maybe it would entice a few of us waverers to join...

Philip Whiteman
1st Nov 2002, 13:20
Three main association magazines, Genghis? May I gently point out that AOPA members receive General Aviation, a bimonthly that also goes out in some numbers to AOPA corporate members, including clubs and FTOs.

Of course, as the magazine's editor, I would say that, wouldn't I.

formationfoto
1st Nov 2002, 14:20
Stik
Shame on you - on behalf of both the Ians!. I think, by the way, that the Denny Dobsob sponsorship has now come to an end - could be wrong.

I believe DD is due at Seething this Sunday around 11.00 for some local commitments.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2002, 14:33
PFA about 8,000 members, BMAA about 4,500, BGA about 8,000 (may be wrong on the last). How many AOPA?

G

Philip Whiteman
1st Nov 2002, 15:13
Hello Genghis. On your figures, AOPA has a similar number of members to the BMAA. However, there are also 140-odd corporate members to whom AOPA currently sends ten copies of General Aviation apiece.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2002, 17:31
Fair enough, best add it to the list then.

QNH 1013
1st Nov 2002, 23:14
Stik,
Who is Denny Dobson and why do "Today's Pilot" sponsor him?

formationfoto
2nd Nov 2002, 08:14
QNH
Allow me to answer - in part at least.

Denny Dobson is a one man aerobatic / airshow act who uses an extra 300 XS (blue and yellow) - will try and post a pic when I get to my archive machine. His act includes a lot of low level stuff such as flying under a tape hung between two poles.

As with most airshow acts he needs a sponsor. His main sponsor a season or so back was Key Publishing who publish both Fly Past and Todays Pilot.

If you are involved with a company who are aviation friendly and have a marketing budget to spend I am sure he would be happy to hear from you.

OK can't hack it - I have the photo available but can't now work out how to insert it!!!

Crossedcontrols
2nd Nov 2002, 16:06
Popular flying gets my vote.
Used to prefer the reading in Pilot, and the format of Flyer.
Now very similar. Todays Pilot seems to have moved into the frame very quickly. I don't think there is much to choose between the monthly mags. But I fly a PFA aircraft and think the PFA is a brilliant idea and deserves support so it gets my subscription. The others, I decide every month on merit some months I'll buy all three. some times (very rarely) none.

CC

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Nov 2002, 23:18
Hi QNH and Formation photo,

The main difference between Denny Dobson and most other display pilots is that he is entirely self taught.

He used to operate out of Deenethorpe (nr Corby) but now flies from Little Staughton.

I would not know how to insert a photo but here is a link to his website.

FD
Had to edit it to get the url in and found an IMG button suppose that is the one to get the piccies in.

http://www.dennydobsonaeros.demon.co.uk/masterframe.htm

Final 3 Greens
3rd Nov 2002, 09:47
For magazines sold across the counter in the UK, there are virtually interchangeable IMHO, with each having a following.

However, again IMHO, none of them are in the same leagure as Flying from the US.

I prefer to read articles by more experienced pilots from which I can learn valuable lessons the easy way. I'm not so bothered about the features on various aircraft although these are done well in all three UK mags.

The articles that John Farley writes are very much what I have in mind and if there was more content like this, I'd change my view.

Just my POV.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Nov 2002, 09:55
F3G

Have to agree with you on the quality of Flying, an excellent mag. You can order it from your Newsagent or take out a sub.

Went to Fun 'n Sun and managed to secure a 3 year sub for $54. That has to be outstanding value.

Excellent articles written in a very pleasant style.

Just hope that RLC never has a Wx related accident!

:eek:

FD

t'aint natural
3rd Nov 2002, 10:15
The AOPA UK magazine, renamed General Aviation, is now worth a mention with any of the above. It's been taken over by the sacked editor of Pilot, which explains a lot.

nosefirsteverytime
3rd Nov 2002, 10:26
sacked?! I heard he just "retired"

QNH 1013
3rd Nov 2002, 12:32
Formationfoto and Flyin'Dutch', Many thanks for the info and link.

QNH 1013

Philip Whiteman
3rd Nov 2002, 15:46
For the record, 't'aint natural' has it right: I left Pilot when the new publishers decided the former editor of Flyer could make a better job of it!

undertheweather
3rd Nov 2002, 19:05
Come on, let's not develop this thread into a bunfight between individuals and their friends about the politics of GA magazines in the UK.

This thread, and the recent one on Pilot magazine, surely have the ultimate benefit of providing us with magazines which we (the readers) want to see - by providing (hopefully constructive) feedback, which they might not normally have.

I know that the GA community is a small one here, but churning the ongoing feuds through this (and other) web chatrooms is starting to get a little tiresome for those of us who are not involved, don't know the individuals, and don't care!

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Nov 2002, 19:34
QNH 1013

When they started sending the issues from Flying they made a mistake and sent me a doubel copy of the october issue.

If you want it send me your snail mailaddress and I will stick some stamps on it and chuck it in the post

(Providing I can find it!)

FD

http://www.flyingmag.com

greatorex
3rd Nov 2002, 19:45
IMHO, I have to say that Flyer is without question the best of the GA magazine bunch at the moment. I have read Today's Pilot quite a lot recently (daughter buys it) and whilst it is a good 'newcomer', I have found their reviews to be a little, well, wet; They do some good reviews - headsets, pilot boards etc - but they all seem to be so 'terribly nice'. I, personally, would welcome a bit more 'meat' to their reviews and a bit more 'which-like'. It also makes me laugh that the editor always seems to get the plum-jobs - flying in a Harrier etc; I guess it's a perk of the job but a different perspective would be good from time to time. ;)

I've just read that back and it sounds like some sort of crazed flame - which it isn't - honest! :D :) :D :)

QNH 1013
3rd Nov 2002, 20:31
Flyin'Dutch', Many thanks. e-mail on its way, QNH

Mr Wolfie
8th Nov 2002, 17:22
Having only started reading the 3 main "news stand" mags within the last 6 or 8 months, I have to say that I find them almost indistinguishable in content, format and editorial stance. I note with interest the comments in this (and the earlier "Pilot Mag" thread) that whilst Pilot is losing favour, both flyer and Todays Pilot are gaining popularity, because at this particular point in time they appear to be so alike that i wonder how they all manage to compete for the same readership and survive.

Mr. Wolfie

PS. I am not pedantic by nature, but I find that the number of spelling mistakes, miscaptioned photographs, repeated or missing words, etc. infuriating in all three mags, but especially in Pilot.

Flandan
12th Nov 2002, 20:09
Think the fundamental problem with Pilot, which is also an issue with the others to a lesser extent, is that the majority of the content is submitted by amateur writers. No disrespect to the authors, but do find most of those travel pieces in Pilot in particular, where Joe PPL flies round France for example, plain boring. Some of the flight tests are pretty lifeless affairs too. As a long time Pilot subscriber, I'm sad to say the mag is sadly becoming more akin to one of those spotter/air enthusiast affairs.

The US mags are far superior, with some very experienced aviators who also happen to be superb, creative writers.

Flyer would get my vote if I had to choose a UK mag.

Wobbles
14th Nov 2002, 09:10
FLYER's still ahead then! It's got some good fetures, and the reviews are good. I'm not the first to say this, but what happened to the Pro Pilot section?

IanSeager
14th Nov 2002, 14:03
Hi Wobbles

You won't be surprised to find out that we're following this thread and taking note of all comments.

Needless to say we have lots of plans for next year

:)

Ian

BlueRobin
14th Nov 2002, 16:00
Well, one could say my hands are now tied on this, eh Ian? ;)

I get both mags - I also read the US mag Flying. However, all that does is to prove that the US flying culture is so different from ours!

People often slate Pilot's quality from before and during their recent problems, so I'm taking the last few issues of both FLYER and Pilot as a comparison.

FLYER

- good photography
- good writing
- content recently went up a bit but went down?
- could we have some more content every month please? I'd pay more money to see new columns, flying adventures and one off pieces. "Pro" section was good, e.g. Meridian, TBM700 etc Good for dreaming. Wouldn't want too much commercial flying copy - limited anyway?

Pilot

- very much improved now that changes have settled down
- very content orientated ( a good thing - currently)
- liking the "fly an old type" thing every month, e.g. Spit, Widgeon etc

Odd really, combine good points of both mags and you'd have one super GA mag.

Stampe
23rd Nov 2002, 08:38
A real plea to all the editors of all our excellent flying magazines to ensure flight tests are written by pilots qualified to speak on their subject .To qualify pilots require either extensive and varied experience on the type tested or be a test pilot who has been trained to carry out an objective analysis of an aircraft.All to often I read a flight test report in a magazine of a type I have experience of and think the author is describing a different type.One flight of an unusual aircraft is totally insufficient to gain any sort of knowledge of an aircraft type,I can certainly remember several types I,ve firmly dislked on initial acquaintance and come to have great respect for with more exposure.Poorly written and inaccurate flight tests can potentially harm a types reputation and second hand values as well as giving new entrants to the hobby false information.Poor journalism also potentially discredits the whole credibility of information held within a journal.So lets see flight tests from pilots who really know their subjects not "quick flip joyriders".:)

t'aint natural
23rd Nov 2002, 20:46
One of the problems I've always found with reports written by qualified test pilots is that they tend to be dry in the extreme. I can think of very few such exalted beings who could also turn a phrase. If you want exactitude, read the manual. Most pilots who pay their money for the above magazines want something a little more engaging and accessible.
That's not to say inaccuracy should be tolerated. In the old days of James Gilbert there was enough expertise at editorial level on Pilot magazine to ensure that very few howlers got through. Not so any more; Pilot has come down to the level of the other two.

Stampe
24th Nov 2002, 09:10
True Tn there,s no doubt that the production of a good magazine article first and foremost requires the literary skills of an empassioned wordsmith.For a flight test this needs combining with a worth while background and depth of experience as a pilot.The writings of the late great Neil Williams ( a test pilot) are superb and of course Brian Lecomber combines the skills superbly.Andy Sephton chief pilot of the Shuttleworth Trust has produced some very worthwhile work recently bringing his test/display pilot background together with huge experience from PFA types to Fast jets.When guys of this calibre speak or write the results are invariably both entertaining and worthy of note!!. Perhaps flight tests should be proceded with a little info on the tester so we can all assess the likely worth of the report .Quality guys are out there lets see their work.;)

t'aint natural
24th Nov 2002, 16:00
Williams is dead and Lecomber is busy, and not even Andy Sephton could service three magazines a month.
For my money the best aviation writer in Britain is Maxi Gainza, who used to write for Pilot until the change of ownership. He writes with a passion and elegance that has seldom been matched; shades of the great St Exupery sometimes. I think he'd meet most people's experience criteria, too.
Gainza's work is all the more praiseworthy when you consider that English is not his first language.

Aerohack
24th Nov 2002, 16:39
Not only did the new brooms at Pilot sweep away Maxi Gainza (whose exceptional writing you so correctly laud, t'ain't natural), but Bernard Chabbert -- who also has the air (no pun intended) of St Ex. about him, and was his Godson, Stephan Wilkinson and Bob Grimstead, all hugely talented writers. For many years I had the privilege of working with them and seeing their work 'in the raw', and I remain awed by their craftsmanship.

Philip Whiteman
24th Nov 2002, 16:50
Those who have missed Maxi's wonderful writing will be pleased to learn that I am running his piece on taking a Yak 52 to the Alps in the December issue of General Aviation

Spamcan defender
26th Nov 2002, 09:23
I reckon its a close call between Flyer and Todays Pilot. I'm that indecisive, I buy both (or blag them from the flying club when I can :o :o :cool: ).

PhilW
26th Nov 2002, 15:13
I second the comment re Maxi Gainza being a great writer. My favourite article has to be Max's story about his first solo circuit in a jet (I cannot remember the type...Hunter?). I was on the edge of my seat all the way. Fantastic writing.

Flyer number one choice, also subscribe to Pilot. Enjoy both styles, would be boring if all mags were the same. I feel we need to support the GA mags as they help keep GA alive by providing a voice, keeping people interested and attracting new people. GA is a small and fragile industry that needs all the help it can get.

skua
27th Nov 2002, 10:32
T'aint N
You have missed a trick in saying all TP's are dry in their writing. I agree the style of people like Roly Beamont is unlikely to get them into the best-seller lists. But what about John Farley? He is a real catch for Flyer, and can communicate the essence of technical topics in a way that few can match (currently). On top of that, he is a great supporter of PPrune, and an all-round nice chap.

End of grovel! :)

t'aint natural
27th Nov 2002, 20:20
Not all... merely the vast majority.