PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Transceivers

Mr. TCU
31st Oct 2002, 00:30
I am interested in getting a handheld transceiver for use as a backup in the cockpit as well as just for listening to airtraffic every now and then. Does anybody have any recommendations good or bad about any particular models? I'm not terribly interested in one that also functions as a VOR receiver. My price range is about $300 CDN.

Thanks!

twistedenginestarter
31st Oct 2002, 09:06
You're normally limited to the Icom IC-A3E which is £300+. I suspect there are cheaper alternatives but I've tried in vain to locate any.

Nowadays you need to at least consider another handheld transceiver that you already own. Your mobile phone. Add this to an air-band receiver (£10 upwards) and you should be able to cope in most situations.

Flyin'Dutch'
31st Oct 2002, 19:50
Horses for courses!

There are a great variety of handhelds you can buy and I have tried the Delcom and Icom variety.

I currently have the A22E with the VOR facility.

Would not buy the VOR facility again and I would if you can buy one with just the AA battery pack rather than the NiCad pack. The NiCad will die after about 3 years. If you use it regularly you may extend that period a bit. For back up purposes best to have some fresh AA batteries in your flying bag.

Not the cheapest but certainly the most reliable option.

FWIW

FD

MLS-12D
31st Oct 2002, 20:14
TCU,

Here are a few review articles that may be of some assistance.

(1) ICOM A4: www.avweb.com/articles/icoma4.html
(2) ICOM A3 and A22: www.avweb.com/articles/icoma22.html
(3) ICOM A23: www.avionicswest.com/articles/a23.htm

MLS-12D:)

vintage ATCO
31st Oct 2002, 21:18
AFAIK the Icom A4 is not CAA approved in the UK, I don't know why.

The Icom A3E (I don't have the VOR one) is exceptional. I use one linked to an external antenna and headset adaptor for air displays and it's performance is outstanding.

The original batteries (NiCd) need cycling to keep them going but will rarely last more than 2-3 years. Get them re-celled with 1000mAh MiMH cells and they are much better. In the UK, Combat Alexander (www.combatalexander.co.uk) will do them for less than £30. Outstanding value and well worth it.

Mark 1
1st Nov 2002, 12:14
The ICOM A4 & A5 aren't approved in the UK, I believe it is because of the digital recorder function. I don't think the ban would affect use from a foreign registered aircraft while in the UK, if they are approved in that country.

The A5 is a really nice little set and can be found for less than $300 in the US.

Amazingly it seems to work in all countries, whatever the local legislation

Mr. TCU
1st Nov 2002, 15:56
Thanks for the above info guys. I just had another thought though. Is it possible to plug a headset into one of the handheld transceivers via an adapter? I see on one of my friend's radios that there are speaker and mic jacks. They're too small for headset connectors, but maybe there are adapters out there??

charlie-india-mike
1st Nov 2002, 16:06
My A22E came complete with headset adaptor. Great bit of kit although not cheap in the UK.

vintage ATCO
1st Nov 2002, 21:00
As CIM says, the A3 and A22 come with a headset adaptor. These will also take a remote PTT switch wired to a 3.5mm jack but you have make that yourself, or find a friendly engineer to do so.

squawking 7700
2nd Nov 2002, 23:07
Mr. TCU, if you're in Canada the Yaesu transceivers are probably approved.

I have an Aviator Pro used as a back up, much cheaper than an Icom and parts are cheaper too, even comes with a headset adaptor.

Interestingly it's CE (ie EU approved) but not CAA approved!
but that wouldn't apply to you (I only use it for listening, honest).

Julian
5th Nov 2002, 11:51
A few mates have purchased the Yaesu (spelling?) transceiver and been very impressed with it, they have also echoed the point about dont pay the extra money for the VOR/LOC capabilities as its a bag of cr@p!

One point a friend said is that he originally boght one with and up/down tunig button rather than keypad as said in a right pain, definitly go for one with a keypad frequency entry system instead.

Troy McClure
5th Nov 2002, 16:08
I bought a Yaesu Aviator Pro at a pilot shop at Bankstown, Sydney last year. Paid around A$450 for it (~£150, half the price of anything in the UK). Seems good quality and very small. Only tested the transmitter once (at Bankstown) by calling up for a radio check using the callsign of an aircraft I knew to be on the ground, but the receiver part comes in handy in Derby where I can just pick up E. Mids ATIS 8 nm away. Came with a NiCad battery, but sure they'll come with a NiMH option now. Check mail order.