PDA

View Full Version : TwoDog's Territory - Kai Tak

TwoDogs
30th Oct 2002, 02:10
Due to my imminent departure from Hong Kong and the closure of my ISP account "TwoDog's Territory" will probably disappear from it's current location at http://home.netvigator.com/~pashford shortly. The Kai Tak charts and photos will still be available, at least for a while, at

www.2-dogz.com

Thank you to the many thousands of visitors to the site over the years, and for the kind comments. I hope that you all found it interesting.

After 30+ very enjoyable years of air traffic control it looks like I am headed for the dole queue - not a pleasant thought but i am looking forward to a break. Good luck to you all - and thanks again for making my site a successful one.

TwoDogs

p.s Job offers can be e-mailed to the address below :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Oct 2002, 06:55
Best of luck for the future, mate. Looking at your web site I'm mightily envious of what you've done in the past few years... Look on the bright side, you could have spent those years in the UK locked away at West Drayton Open Prison, where there's no remission!!!!

qsp888
10th Jan 2003, 16:19
why are you leaving hong kong?

11th Jan 2003, 10:28
There was a thread about HK on this forum a while back. I believe the authorities are getting rid of the expats in stages and replacing them with locals.

throw a dyce
11th Jan 2003, 22:47
True they are trying to replace expats with locals but the plan isn't working as the locals cannot do approach radar.Last I heard they were 20 short and desperately hanging on to as many expats as they can;or the ones they like!!I was there with 2dogs and he incurred a black mark or two for whatever reason I'm not sure.The Chinese will store this against you and when it's contract renewal time,will let you go for some remark made years earlier.That's why the only comments to appear about HK are from guys who have left and are not worried about the next contract.I left on my own terms so I tell the truth:p

qsp888
12th Jan 2003, 18:21
a friend of mine is working over there. he said the local are pretty good.

ferris
14th Jan 2003, 05:32
So what will it take for them to start hiring again? A mid-air? Change of management? Ex-HKers tell me they will just grind the current staff into the ground; cancel leave, work on days off etc.

Anyone disagree?

throw a dyce
18th Jan 2003, 23:22
Ferris,
The only way that HK will take Expats again is when the civil service approves centrally.As long as the CAD can state that locals can "Do the job" then no expats will be hired/rehired.In HK we all know that on APP Radar locals struggle,because original thinking is required.Not something that the CAD Cadets are used to.
HK will have real problems in 12-36 months time because of the age profile of the expats left.A lot are in there 50's and completing 6years+. They have lost a lot of the younger guys through job boredom,CAD stupidity and the rest.The ones left have had 6% pay cut with a potential greater one coming and with an increase in traffic.Ok some will stay,but some will decide to go.I've heard various tales about one local controller in the system and it grinds to a halt.I think that the management at the airport know the problems but it convincing the lords and masters in Queensway that's there is a problem.
Ps Money is good but bull**** is bad.Your choice if you ever get it

ferris
19th Jan 2003, 05:30
Thanks, I am getting a better picture of HK.
Money is good, bulldust is bad?:rolleyes: Sounds like a definition of ATC worldwide, just variations in degree.

qsp888
19th Jan 2003, 17:27
throw a dyce
are you working in hong kong?