PDA

View Full Version : LARS & MATZ RT Procedure

ChiSau
29th Oct 2002, 08:33
Sorry all - yet another dumb question post from me - and its on RT again! :(

I'm due to be flying through the Farnborough MATZ from Greenham Common down to Farnham and then routing up to Redhill via the Reigate Railway Station VRP in the next few days.

I was thinking of asking for a MATZ penetration and a Radar Information Service and my questons are these:

1) If I want to change my heading and routing after I have entered the MATZ (due to a diversion for example), do I have to REQUEST a heading change or do I inform them that I am changing my heading? I can't remember whether I have to request changes in a MATZ - but I didn't think so;

2) I've never asked for a RIS but it would seem sensible as the airspace must be pretty busy. Does the fact that I have a RIS effect the answer to 1)? I don't think it does;

3) When I no longer want a RIS, what is my correct RT procedure to action that?

Thanks!
:)

Evo
29th Oct 2002, 08:53
You need CAP413 :) :)

(1 - edited) You don't have to request it, but you should advise them first if you are receiving a RIS. However, it's a good idea to tell them what you are doing even if you dont have to and I would always tell them if given a specific routing (e.g. not overhead Odiham) because there may well be something else going on.

(2) It's mostly academic, because you'll almost always get told "negative, flight information service only due to workload" when you ask, but with a RIS you must advise the controller before changing level or route. If you have a FIS you don't have to.

(3) tell them :)

Seriously, if you're unsure about this stuff read Chapter 7 of CAP413 - it explains it all very clearly :)

Fly Stimulator
29th Oct 2002, 09:34
ChiSau ,

When you call Redhill (approaching Dorking is a good spot to change from Farnborough) the phrase they'll use for the reporting point is 'West of Reigate' if runway 08 is in use or 'North of Reigate' if it's runway 19. If runway 26 or 01 is in use you'll be asked to report at the M25/M23 motorway junction instead.

Redhill have a good website with all this and some useful maps of the airfield and circuit here. (http://www.redhillaerodrome.com/vrps.html)

I've always found Farnborough to be a very helpful group of people, although they do often get pretty busy. One of the ATC chaps there flies from Redhill himself, so he'll be able to point you in the right direction!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
29th Oct 2002, 10:39
I echo the comments of the previous posts. However, just to be pedantic, it's not the Farnborough MATZ. It is actually Odiham MATZ although Farnborough LARS are responsible for the MATZ crossing service.

:)

Fred
29th Oct 2002, 11:56
Indeed. Farnborough is only leased from the MOD and operates as a civil A/D; it doesn't have its own MATZ - just an ATZ up to the usual 2000'.