PDA

View Full Version : Turning world = shorter flight duration ?

Montt
28th Oct 2002, 21:20
Let us assume a flight from London to Toronto, say 4500nm, no wind, with an aircraft flying at 450 knots.

Would this flight last about 10 hours (=4500/450) or would it be less because the world turns in the favorable direction underneath the aircraft, or is there no such effect at all ?

After all, Vancouver is about 120° degrees more to the West than London...

The views of those in the know will be much appreciated!

Thanks for commenting.

Montt

expedite_climb
28th Oct 2002, 21:37
If there is 'no wind' as you describe it, then in fact the wind is moving at the same speed as the earth at that point. Hence 4500 east or west would take the same time.

Its all relative really. If there really was no wind at all - i.e the air wasnt moving - then there would be a wind across the surface of the earth as the earth is moving.

RadarContact
29th Oct 2002, 07:15
If there really was no wind at all - i.e the air wasnt moving - then there would be a wind across the surface of the earth as the earth is moving.

At our lattitude (50°) at mach 0.9, to be precise.... :eek:

expedite_climb
29th Oct 2002, 07:45
ok smartarse :D i had just come back from LPA tho.....

lomapaseo
29th Oct 2002, 12:08
I always thought that the aircraft was spinning with the earth around the earths axis, so no effect either way.

If not, then how much lead do you give RIO on a JFK-GIG flight at 450 kts?? at 400kts??

expedite_climb
30th Oct 2002, 09:53
lomapaseo,

Not sure what RIO is, but yes the aircraft is effectively spinning on the axis with the earth, as at most low windspeeds (as we define them), the air is also moving at with the earth.

RadarC ?

Basil
30th Oct 2002, 10:16
. . an' what if you fly from the equator where the periphral speed is 900 kn to, say, Lat 60 deg where it is 450 kn . . ?
Do we get 450 knotsworth of easterly accelleration? Ooh - er! :confused:

expedite_climb
30th Oct 2002, 10:22
Basil, I would have said yes you do - its just that because the earth does to, the relative change in acceleration is nil, and hence you dont see it. Same reason it doesnt look like you are moving now....