PDA

View Full Version : Capt PPrune and Astraeus

Lavdumperer
25th Oct 2002, 14:11
Just read the excellent profile of Capt. Pprune/Danny Fyne in Flyer Magazine. It was a great article. Couple questions for Capt. Pprune and about Astraeus:

1. How do you like the 737-700 vs. the 757?

2. Primary reasons for leaving Air 2000 for Astraeus? Was Air 2000 furloughing pilots?

3. Differences in terms of destinations served? How far afield are the Astraeus 737-700s flown?

4. Will you also post 737-700 cockpit pictures in the PPrune gallery? I'd love to see some updated pictures to add to your 757 pictures...

It was a great article. Thanks for the info and congrats on the move to Astraeus - it seems like an exciting new airline!

Cheers

Mister Geezer
25th Oct 2002, 16:09
I saw the article as well...... Danny had 4 stripes on his sleeve in the photos however Flyer printed that he was a Senior F/O! Is someone at Flyer having the last laugh???? :D

I thought it was quite funny to see that BALPA referred to Astraeus as 'Ashtrays-are-us' in their latest employment circular!!

Edited to say that I heard the farthest route they were doing was Taba in Egypt using the 700.

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Oct 2002, 16:32
Moved to Questions forum.

It was a good article you are right.

pjdj777
25th Oct 2002, 19:37
Just a note that our furthest destination now is Aswan in Egypt, slightly further than Taba

Honest Fr@nk
26th Oct 2002, 18:48
Not breaking any Flight Time Limitations I hope???????????

expedite_climb
27th Oct 2002, 21:50
Honest Fr@nk,

Dunno about astraeus but they may have a level 2 variation for the route. Several uk charters do so you can do 14.15 duty to do Uk - BJL - UK.

Limitations on pre and post rest, max number of level 2 duties, and discretion is reduced to 2 hrs (1hr ex UK).

Not pleasent though !!

filejw
30th Oct 2002, 21:28
Just bump this up to see if we get an answer from the main man.

We don't often change companys in the US.If you are with one of the bigger airlines you stay.Looking for the reasoning behind such a move...but understand if no answer is forthcoming.JW:cool:

Lavdumperer
1st Nov 2002, 18:13
Any word from the big-man upstairs? Love to know more info about your move to Astraeus - note questions in first posting. Thanks!

Back to top...

tailscrape
1st Nov 2002, 23:02
Career progression?

Lavdumperer
5th Nov 2002, 14:34
Any word from Capt PPrune? We'd love to know how you are liking Astraeus vs. your previous 757 flying at Air 2000....

We enjoyed your article and would love a "follow-up".

Cheers

Banana99
5th Nov 2002, 15:19
only you would Lav. Give it a rest

Lavdumperer
17th Nov 2002, 02:23
Banana99,

Thanks for your contribution! This is an informational forum - I can ask questions if I want to... You don't need to respond. Why waste our time with your lame comment?

I am curious, that is why I asked the original question. Get it?

Mister Geezer
19th Nov 2002, 09:16
Maybe it is a secret! :)

DX Wombat
19th Nov 2002, 09:50
Lavdumperer, did it not occur to you that the lack of response from Danny could be because this is his own, private affair and therefore none of your, or anyone else's, business?

aztruck
19th Nov 2002, 10:19
We do use Level 2 variations on several routes, including Banjul and back in a day. Utilisation on the 700's over the Summer was 17 hours a day on occasion, and several Captains from other major Airlines have recently joined(BA, Virgin, Cathay among others).

ironbutt57
19th Nov 2002, 11:52
Maybe the Guv bought Air 2000;) ;) :D :D :p :cool:

Danny
19th Nov 2002, 14:06
Oooh errr! I wondered why my ears were burning.:p Excuse me for having a life and not being on here to immediately answer your questions. :rolleyes:

The article was written by Steve Cropley. Those of you who read Autocar magazine will recognise Steve from his weekly diary published there. Steve is a private pilot and I was as entertained by him as I hope he was by me when we did the interview. As for the photos, the B737 had only arrived the day before in its new colours after its proving flight for the CAA. Considering that the management team at Astraeus had only applied for the AOC less than three months earlier, that is a worthy story in itself. I won't even go into Ironbutts comments about a no-hoper/con man like Robertson. I was still on part paid leave from Air 2000 at the time and had borrowed someones jacket which was at least two sizes too small. Ah, but such is the complexity of a photographer models life!
:eek:

1. How do you like the 737-700 vs. the 757?
I really like the 737 from a handling point of view but that flightdeck feels and is much more cramped. the -700 has a better main instrument panel with those fantastic, large six plat panel LCD displays. The rest of the flight deck though is not much different than the 737 classics. Ergonomics were not a pure science when the 737 was designed and the switches on the overhead panel are showing their age.

I miss the huge flight deck windows on the 757. You really felt you were riding high with the bottom edge side windows somewhere near your elbow. If you can imagine the difference between sitting in a Range Rover and Ford Ka. Whilst the 757 had so much spare power, with the 737-300 you have to plan your fuel much more carefully and with some destinations in mid summer it is impossible to carry all your pax, all their bags and all the required fuel. The -700 however is a different kettle of fish and will rarely be restricted by performance. It cruises faster and flies higher, just like the 757.

Slightly more complicated when configuring for landing. On the 757 we had a 'low drag' approach. Not so on the 737. Also, the FMCs are slightly different. On the 757 we could enter a second route which could be used to plan an alternate approach or as more often than not, used to enter the return route and save a few minutes during the heavy workload during the turnaround.

Otherwise it is the same.

2. Primary reasons for leaving Air 2000 for Astraeus? Was Air 2000 furloughing pilots?

I had been with Air 2000 for over four years and I had some of the best training and flying experience anyone in the industry can give. I started long haul on the 767 after only a year and flew all over the world. The people I worked with were excellent.

After 9/11 the company made a number of pilots redundant. I was nowhere near the bottom of the seniority list but the company asked for volunteers to take part paid leave and for every two who volunteered would mean one less redundancy. I took it and during that time I helped where I could with my friends in the start up of Astraeus.

Air 2000 had merged with Leisure International a few years earlier and the growth in the company together with the integration of the pilot workforce meant that the company had grown in size enormously. There were some morale problems amongst the pilots as is common when some companies grow in size rapidly and the Human Remains departments get new powers. I decided that I would rather take my chances with a new start-up operation that had one of the best management teams with a proven track record in the industry. I resigned from Air 2000 in March 2002 and am very grateful to them for the opportunity they gave me and the experiences I will always carry with me.

I had heard stories about how Air 2000 started and what I was like in the early days and the opportunity to join Astraeus would provide me with an opportunity to experience the excitement of working with a small group of people in getting an airline off the ground. Now, after our first season in business and having received our first business award I can state that it is still exciting and I am looking forward to a long career with Astraeus as it grows over the coming years. Having a seniority number in the top 20 could come in handy one day! :confused:

3. Differences in terms of destinations served? How far afield are the Astraeus 737-700s flown?

As has been mentioned above, Astraeus flies the -700 as far as Aswan and Banjul. I have flown it from Manchester to Taba and that is a long day. We have a Level 2 variation to the FTL's so the sarcastic comment by H@nest Frank s irrelevant. Astraeus is a serious player in the market and the CAA make no exceptions for us.

The Taba flight from Manchester for example is a very long day but it is a day flight and the Level 2 variation is not really required as the last two times I have operated it we would not even have had to complete a discretion report even without the Level 2. The flight departs 0930 local. Two sectors, max FDP for that time of day is 13:15. Block times have been 5:15 out and 6:00 back. The Egyptians have been exceptionally efficient with their turnarounds and we have been off blocks at Taba in less than 50 minutes. The company has sensibly applied Level 2 variation so that the crew is fully rested before and after such a long duty day and whilst there have been no delays so far, there is more of an opportunity to deal with an unforeseen one should it happen.

The rest of the destinations are more or less the same as those I flew on the 757 with Air 2000, mostly the Med holiday resorts in Spain, Corsica, Italy, Malta, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Tunisia and Morocco as well as the Canaries and the Egyptian Red Sea and Nile resorts. There are some ad-hoc charters to different destinations and throughout the winter there are a lot of interesting flights to European cities for day trips.

4. Will you also post 737-700 cockpit pictures in the PPrune gallery? I'd love to see some updated pictures to add to your 757 pictures...

Eventually I will. One of the buttons on my camera has gone tech and I just haven't got around to getting it fixed. Might just wait a bit and get a newer camera with more toys built in. Watch this space.

jumpseater
19th Nov 2002, 15:02
Q. From a tree huggy sort of perspective, why do you not do low drag approaches on the 73's whereas you used to on the 75's?, and do you fly different types of approach in the -700 to the -300?

rgds
js

Lavdumperer
19th Nov 2002, 20:55
Danny,

Thanks for your very complete answers. I really enjoyed the article and your response here has filled in a lot of blanks. I think you made the right choice and I am a very big fan of the 737NG - I love the new avionics.

Thanks for you excellent answers and I am looking forward to seeing the pics in the gallery eventually. You are doing a great job with PPrune. Thanks again.

Cheers!

filejw
23rd Nov 2002, 04:32
Thanks Danny .JW