PDA

View Full Version : faa AND caa/jar IR ...?

ppiper
25th Oct 2002, 00:30
Does anyone know the best route to take to end up with an FAA IR (and commercial) and a CAA/JAR IR without having to repeat too much training?

I read today that there is only one school in the States allowed to teach JAR IR (in Michegan) Can this be true?

My idea was to find a school with instructors qualified to instruct both FAA and CAA IR and use as many training hours as I could to obtain both qualifications. Any ideas?

I understand that now most of the time taken to train for FAA IR will count towards CAA IR but I cannot find a proper update on it anywhere.

Any help appreciated.

Paul

gpdaly
29th Oct 2002, 12:32
If you have an FAA IR or any other ICAO IR for that matter you will need to do a minimum of 15 hours of training for the JAA IR according to a recent AIC (White) that was released in August 2002. See www.ais.co.uk for details. After the 15 hours it is up to the FTO to determine whether you are ready to sit the test.
There are other schools in the USA which can train you for the JAA IR. You will not be allowed to do the flight test however outside of JAA member state airspace
:cool:

ppiper
30th Oct 2002, 14:20
Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't sound too bad considering you used to have to do the whole course if you had an FAA....?

Just a quick note: My information is that there is only one school in US that can do the JAA IR training...? - and there certainly aren't any in FL or CA - according to Clive Hughes guide to getting a commercial pilot's licence.

Paul

Stan Evil
30th Oct 2002, 19:34
The up-to-date definitive list of who's approved to do what is on the CAA web site:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=192

Even if you train in the US the initial IRT must be flown in JAA airspace so you'll need to find a school that has a split course between the US and Europe.